Local Druggist Bottles from Kijiji

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

mctaggart67

Reaction score
Some ambers from the Ottawa pharmacy of Henry Watters.

Attachments

• henry_watters_01.jpg
    henry_watters_01.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 139

RCO

Reaction score
its an interesting book , I saw it at local library , they had a copy in reference section so I could read it there but not take it home . a lot of listings , its hard to believe there was that many different druggists all over the province in every little town . a lot of the local druggists that were listed I haven't really heard of or read about in local history books . I have a couple local druggist bottles ( bracebridge , Huntsville and gravenhurst ) but don't really know a lot about them in general

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I haven't seen much of anything from Hull , haven't even seen many postcards from Hull , there is a lot of postcards from Ottawa but very few for Hull/Gatineau . old postcards can often show older views of buildings and places .

for the lack of bottles , it might be likely that some of the bigger dumps haven't been found or dug . there is likely bottles from Hull/Ottawa in dumps in the surrounding farms and towns in the area , they would of bought products from Ottawa and threw out the bottles . I wouldn't expect hull bottles to just be in Hull but a wider area .

have you ever seen any embossed druggist bottles from Pembroke ? its fairly close to Ottawa and downtown was very large at one point , it was a massive lumber town and key town in the region . I have seen many soda bottles from Pembroke but not sure I've seen any druggist . you think there'd be one

I've seen a fair amount of old Hull postcards but they're all of the same general area in the immediate downtown. Most of Hull was more working class and not the sort of area that they'd normally make postcards of. A lot of the old city was destroyed to make way for federal office buildings, and I've barely seen any photos of what that area used to look like. Both Ottawa and Hull suffered badly from the urban planning ideas of the 60's and 70's.

I'm not sure whether or not I've seen a Pembroke druggist bottle before. I generally consider Pembroke to be a bit too far west to be in my collecting range. I've got three embossed druggist bottles from Renfrew though, and Renfrew is a pretty similar town, so I would expect that there are some.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
The author of The Ontario Drug Store and Druggist List, 1851-1930 occasionally hangs out at this forum. Here are two bottles from Dr. Valade's Ottawa pharmacy, one embossed in French and the other embossed in both of Canada's official languages.

I've been wanting to get one of those, especially the one with both languages. It's always struck me as funny how they would make bilingual labels back around the turn of the century by randomly mixing up the two languages. I'm not really sure if that one is intentional or a mistake by the engravers.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mlzeigler