Fence insulators

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bob Apples

Reaction score
Anyone collect old electric fence insulators? IMG_20160708_191205.jpg

botlguy

Reaction score
Mr. Apples, those are Radio Strain insulators, not fence insulators. I collect them, sort of, I pick them up when I find them reasonably (Cheap) and re-purpose them. Things like hanging bird feeders. They come in a huge variety if shapes, size, color & material. Watch out for weird colors, they have been reproduced. Those all look authentic.
Jim

Bob Apples

Reaction score
OK. Most of those I removed from fences in Western Nebraska. Maybe that was there second life. I have many some are amber and green. Always good to learn.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Interesting that they would be in use on fences as well, I've never looked at an electrical fence up close so I'm not sure why one would need a strain insulator. I've come across some abandoned ones around here but have only ever seen the little white porcelain insulators on them. I should check out the end of the fence next time, I'd like to find a radio strain insulator in the wild. I've only got one which I bought at a yard sale, although it is a nice amethyst colour (hopefully not a reproduction!)

botlguy

Reaction score
OK. Most of those I removed from fences in Western Nebraska. Maybe that was there second life. I have many some are amber and green. Always good to learn.
That is a new one for me although I see no reason why they couldn't be used for a fence. We are about to fence in about an acre with electric fence to hold my Daughter's horse and I'm sure we won't be using that type. The amber and green have some real value, especially if you removed then from use. I'm really surprised you found that many in use. Let's see pix if you got 'em
Jim

andy volkerts

Reaction score
Anyone collect old electric fence insulators?View attachment 173094
I believe Botlguy is correct, those are radio antennae insulators, but I have also seen them used as electric fence insulators here in central Cali, mostly the ones shown in your pic on the far right, clear glass, some turning purple from the sunlight, they are pretty cool though....Andy

Bob Apples

Reaction score
The colored ones are like the ones on the right. I need to dig around, the rest are still packed away from when I moved back to Arizona. I'll unpack some whiskey bottles as well. Thanks for the interest!

CreekWalker

Reaction score
Those are a nice! I've picked up a few of these , while surface hunting, , usually in creeks and washes , and I never could imagine the context , although one was found close to the railroad. Found a amber one on a old farm site, so my first thought was electric fence use, but possibly the guy was a ham radio operator, which just give me a thought about other possible search sites. Thanks.
images
images

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora