7up- 1953-1986 Canada

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
Yes there is the ones marked Vancouver-Victoria.... for some reason I can't recall a Nanaimo one?

And also there is:
-No city version
-Kelowna BC

I seem to have missed the post about a seven up bottle from Kelowna BC but looked back and there was one from 2015 , shows a seven up lady bottle and an embossed bottle

but doesn't surprise me there'd be some from the smaller cities out west not just the larger ones

RCO

Reaction score
I've only ever seen Vancouver & Victoria bottles, never seen one for just Victoria but it is possible that an early one exists. The Nanaimo one is just for Nanaimo, marked Nanaimo Bottling Works. It's the later shield design, I don't think Nanaimo has a swimsuit variant.

I'm pretty certain that's the Ottawa type I saw at the show in Longueil, oddly enough never saw one in Ottawa. I guess Seven Up Ottawa Ltd was the only one to mark their bottles and the later one didn't.

my list is now up to 24 different city and town combinations used for Canada , but I suspect a few others exist

there is almost certainly 7 up bottles from PEI that would say PEI on them as they still used glass until 2008 and they would of been marked as being from the island , but not sure if there'd be early lady style or shield bottles from the island

I'd also wonder about st johns newfoundland , seems too far to import 7 seven from Halifax or montreal , likely they had there own bottler and bottle at some point

Regina Sask seems like another likely possibility for a bottle as there is a Saskatoon bottle and I also saw a Yorkton Sask bottle at an antique mall before , think it was a swimsuit version but could of been another design

Canadacan

Reaction score
Yea not sure if that was me... so yes there is a Nanaimo, but the lines on this post became merged as it was originally 1953-1986 (post swim suit lady)..no big deal;),.. the Nanaimo I have is 1955 (shield version) and if were talking post swimsuit version I also have a Blairmore, Alta.
Yea even if you focused on say just Vancouver (swim suit) only there are at least 5-6 back label variations.

Here's the Kelowna bottle....
20180410_151704.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
I know for Toronto there is a lot of variations , wasn't trying to list every variation , rather what cities and towns have a seven up bottle that actually uses the city name on back

there seems to have also been a seven up plant in New Brunswick so likely a bottle as well

SEVEN-UP SUSSEX LIMITED
75 PRINCE WILLIAM STREET
SAINT JOHN
NEW BRUNSWICK

Canadacan

Reaction score
I forgot about these 2 1960's cartons I picked up last fall at an auction. the one with the bottles is made by Packagemaster, the other is by Belkin, basically identical with just the side shape a bit different and the Belkin has bolder print.

20180425_173910.jpg

20180425_173822.jpg

I have the Belkin carton showing the slogan on the other side....in Canada 10oz was King size.
20180425_173846.jpg

I'm showing one of my 12oz Canadian 7up's ...this one is dated 1958, I am assuming the carton would have had 12oz printed on it in the same fashion as the USA carton, and would have been just slightly larger to handle the 12oz bottle.
20180425_173934.jpg

shotdwn

Reaction score
Just got time to read this thread from the beginning. Fantastic job of showing the evolution of the 7UP bottles from 1953 to 1986. Great work Canadacan.

Canadacan

Reaction score
Just got time to read this thread from the beginning. Fantastic job of showing the evolution of the 7UP bottles from 1953 to 1986. Great work Canadacan.

Hey thank you!....I hope to add more to this as time goes on, I really want to get a carton for the 7oz bottles now!

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Well today I found a bottle that previously hadn't thought existed - a 12oz shield bottle marked Ottawa! Unfortunately the paint on this one is mostly missing, so I can't get it to show up in a photo, but it reads "Seven-Up Bottling Co (Ottawa) Limited." This one features bilingual text like the Montreal ones do, has the "Fresh Up With" neck label, and has a pre-1962 Consumers logo on the base. I'm not sure why these ones aren't more common, they must not have been used for long.

RCO

Reaction score
Well today I found a bottle that previously hadn't thought existed - a 12oz shield bottle marked Ottawa! Unfortunately the paint on this one is mostly missing, so I can't get it to show up in a photo, but it reads "Seven-Up Bottling Co (Ottawa) Limited." This one features bilingual text like the Montreal ones do, has the "Fresh Up With" neck label, and has a pre-1962 Consumers logo on the base. I'm not sure why these ones aren't more common, they must not have been used for long.

I'm not surprised one exists , as to why they'd be so uncommon ? when Ottawa would of been a fairly large market , not really sure .

perhaps they weren't used much and not all 7 up bottles from Ottawa were actually marked Ottawa , a lot might of just been generic bottles that don't list a city

I'm surprised its bilingual , possible sign it was being sold across the river in Gatineau area and not just Ottawa

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Yeah I'm pretty certain that most bottles used by the plant in Ottawa were generic. I don't know why they marked these and not the others.
The bilingualism makes sense since Ottawa was at that time, and still is to some degree, a city with a large French population. I've seen a 1920s pharmacy bottle from Ottawa which only had French writing on it, no English. But yes they likely were distributing across the river as well.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado