Senior Member Bottle Master

A Scary Good Fake

A very reputable bottle collector just posted a bottle on Facebook, and something just seemed off to me. The embossing was all weird, and the bottle itself was identical to a common black glass ale. Sure enough, I remembered how a while back someone posted a fake John Ryan soda bottle that was either laser etched or sandblasted. This bottle was so unusual that Peachridge Glass had an article on it. Here are some pictures.

A closer shot of the embossing

Senior Member Bottle Master
    I posted on Peachridge Glass that it was a fake when it was originally posted there and my comment got erased very quickly. I would suspect someone did this up for some bottle collector's 40th birthday.
    Last edited by nhpharm; 08-09-2016 at 02:30 PM.

Senior Member Bottle Master andy volkerts's Avatar
    Which is why I wouldn't buy a sandblast etched bottle. When I worked at Libby Owens Glass co in Lathrop Cal, we used to sand blast bottles with all kinds of stuff for our bottle club and collectors, BUT we put fake on the bottoms of the ones we did.........Andy

Senior Member Bottle Finder Dr Pepper bottle man's Avatar
    A friend of mine who repaired bottles made an amber Coca-Cola hutch for a friend of his to bury so one of his friends would find it. Friend went nuts and he had carry him to the man that made it to confirm it was a fake for him to find.
    Wanting Texas Dr Pepper embossed/raised letters bottles, Artesian from Waco and Artesia from Ft Worth, Texas

Senior Member Bottle Finder
    My friend Jim from NC made an amber blob Coca-Cola for me. Is that to whom you are referring?

Senior Member Bottle Finder Dr Pepper bottle man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by midway49 View Post
    My friend Jim from NC made an amber blob Coca-Cola for me. Is that to whom you are referring?
    Ya mean extremly slow groucy ol Jim!!!!

Wanting Texas Dr Pepper embossed/raised letters bottles, Artesian from Waco and Artesia from Ft Worth, Texas