The river gives up more

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottlerocket

Reaction score
I went down to the river yesterday and found a pre-prohibition beer with an applied crown top. I have several of these but always pick them up because of the rich history the company had and also being a local. I wonder how many of these were destroyed during the prohibition era. It has great seeding and color. From the Akron Brewing Company.
Also 2 6 3/4 oz Bireley's orange drink bottles from Cleveland, Ohio.
These Bireley's have always caught my fancy due to their thickness.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 291
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:

botlguy

Reaction score
O.K., forgive me but, please, lets keep our terms correct so we don't perpetuate misunderstandings. Those Beers & Sodas with Crown tops are "TOOLED" or "Hand Finished" not "APPLIED". There ARE examples of APPLIED crown closures but these are not those.

That is not to discount Crown Tops, I understand that two were sold at auction last weekend at the FOHBC show for over $3,000 each. I just want to be correct, not trying to police these forums or pick nits.

All that said, nice finds, I wish I were in a position to dig such items.
Jim

bottlerocket

Reaction score
Yes I do stand corrected.
Applied Tops includes all lips that were applied after the bottle was removed from blow pipe or mold whereas "tooled" were basically crown tops twisted into place onto a molded type bottle. In my example you can actually see the stressed twisted glass where it connects to the rest of the bottle.
Thanks for clarifying.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TLOWE94