Who collects pickle bottles?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

otto

Reaction score
Can't make authentic Puttanesca sauce without Capers.

Attachments

• IMG_2225.JPG
    IMG_2225.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 206

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
I find it remarkable that capers were so popular in the late 18th - early 19th century. I wonder if the WWI interupted that trend.

capersmodern.jpg caperstrio.jpg

otto

Reaction score
As the ethnic population of the country changed new foods and condiments were introduced.

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
As the ethnic population of the country changed new foods and condiments were introduced.

No doubt, that's true. But, what replaced the capers among the culinary tastes of America? (I don't think of capers as an ethnic taste back then, though that is the section to find capers these days in the grocery store.) It's difficult to understand how an interruption of <10 years could change tastes so extensively. Of course, it could be that capers continued to be imported in generic, colorless glass bottles instead of the distinctive forms of the past.

capers_Languedoc.jpg

condiment_colorless.jpg

slugplate

Reaction score
Love to find one, Harry. I have 1 and it's not special. It has an early Mason's logo stamped on the base (looks like the iron cross), that's it. I have it in stored away. It's a plain and aqua colored bottle. When I can go through all of the boxes of bottles I have, I snap a pic.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi