found a bottle it seemed fine , then it cracked in 2

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
was cleaning at a dump I had been to previously and found a neat little bottle , brought it home and cleaned it up . took a couple pictures of it and sat it on dresser . was on the computer and could hear a very weird cracking noise and went over and it had broke apart into 2 pieces all of a sudden , very weird and never had that happen before .

the bottle said it was for Acid and for FEMI of Canada - had acid line and acid handle carefully on side . and a D in triangle on bottom

femiacid1.jpgfemiacid.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
this is what it looks like now , broken in 2 parts , they can still fit together and it stands up .

PA120002.jpgPA120003.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
also want to add it didn't appear to have any cracks when I washed and cleaned it earlier , at least not that I could easily see

andy volkerts

Reaction score
Sorry that happened to you. I have had several bottles crack and break after washing, I have even had them break from bringing them indoors on a cold day. Sometimes glass just does that.........Andy

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
It's not you! Sometimes the trauma of removing a bottle from the state it was in for the last x number of years is just too much. I have had a few (thankfully not many) break or crack after I dug or washed them.

nhpharm

Reaction score
Usually temperature change is the issue. If I am bringing a bottle in from a cold environment, I wrap it up and let it acclimate slowly to the warmer temperature. If I am digging in warm weather, same deal-wrap it when it comes out of the hole. While washing, make sure the water is as close as possible to room temperature. Sometimes even with those precautions they crack. 1900-1925 era glass seems susceptible to this particularly. I believe that is the bottle from inside an old fire extinguisher.

RCO

Reaction score
it had been just lying on the ground , covered by a small amount of dirt . I had rinsed it in water that might of been too cold , is a water bin outside by the garage and well water from the hose might of been colder than I realised , then inside would of been warmer .

I'm not really sure what the bottle was for , guess its possible its from a fire extinguisher ? if they used acid

nhpharm

Reaction score
Look up soda acid fire extinguisher and you'll see how they were used.

RCO

Reaction score
Look up soda acid fire extinguisher and you'll see how they were used.

that appears to be what it was , any idea how common or hard to find these bottles are ? you wouldn't think of there being a bottle inside of a fire extinguisher

nhpharm

Reaction score
Most of them seem fairly available and they are not particularly collectible even if they are rare, so not much value. I had some earlier blown Badger ones that I got $10 each for...those were early 1900's (blown/tooled lip).

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu