Ceramic Insulator

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

coldwater diver

Reaction score
Hi Guys found this in a recent dive in Maine. Its an interesting shape that Ive not seen before. I would be interested to learn more about it if anyone has knowledge about it. Thanks for looking. Kevin

Attachments

• IMG_9283.jpg
    IMG_9283.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_9284.jpg
    IMG_9284.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 273

andy volkerts

Reaction score
Neither have I, it looks like it is a design that's normally made of glass like a wide skirt ECM or Brookfield telegraph...........Andy

coldwater diver

Reaction score
It's the bottom piece of a cemented multipart, which was likely two shells cemented together (maybe three, but this looks too small for a three-part). With only half the insulator, it's a bit tough to tell exactly what type it is, but it probably would have looked somewhat similar to this one:
http://www.allinsulators.com/photos/Porcelain/M/2200-2299.html#M-2221

Thanks for the info. My friend Bram was suggesting that as well. Its interesting because the top of it is smooth and doesn't seem to indicate it had a top, unless it were a part made separately to assemble w other pieces. I will have to keep an eye out for the other parts.

kleinkaliber

Reaction score
Yes, that is a bottom "shell." They were made in anywhere from 1 to 4 pieces, which were then cemented together. For the really rare ones, if they are broken, collectors of these multipart insulators sometimes dissolve the cement and take them apart. Then they can re-cement an unbroken top to an unbroken bottom (or middle) shell, making what is referred to a "kitsulator."

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi