Adams House Druggist-Type Bottle with PURPLE Product?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Bird%u00252BTray%u00252B010.jpg
It says, "Adam's House / Boston, Mass."
Bird%u00252BTray%u00252B011.JPG
It's a druggist-style bottle. My question is....
Bird%u00252BTray%u00252B012.jpg
What is inside of it, and what did Adam's House do?

I feel like it's some kind of dye, as it has such an incredible royal purple. The cork appears to have been in it for a hundred years, so I believe the product to be original. The glass is clear, not irradiated.

Was Adam's House an art company?

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Well that's definitely a difficult one to research. Seems that there were quite a few things in Boston called Adams House. I suspect that you're right and it's an artists' supply company, but unfortunately I can't find anything to prove that.

sandchip

Reaction score
Looks like that purple medicine we used to put on our pets when they got cut. That's been many years ago.

bostaurus

Reaction score
The stuff you are talking about for animals is Gentian Violet. It is also used in humans. It is an anti-fungal. Still used especially for thrush in the mouth (yeast infection). Can be an issue with nursing babies...babies in general. You swab the inside of the mouth with it...works well but you have a purple mouthed baby for a little while.

sandchip

Reaction score
The stuff you are talking about for animals is Gentian Violet. It is also used in humans. It is an anti-fungal. Still used especially for thrush in the mouth (yeast infection). Can be an issue with nursing babies...babies in general. You swab the inside of the mouth with it...works well but you have a purple mouthed baby for a little while.

Thanks, gal. I never knew what it was called. Remember it being good stuff though.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac