Is this an onion bottle? What can you tell me about it...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

jschaeffer

Reaction score
What can you tell me about this bottle...it measures just under 10" tall. It is green dispite the color in the one photo.

Attachments

• 20161129_185612.jpg
    20161129_185612.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 344
  • 20161129_185630.jpg
    20161129_185630.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 329
  • 20161129_185530.jpg
    20161129_185530.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 335

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
It's not an onion in the common sense among bottle collectors. Your bottle was probably made in the Middle East in the 20th Century -- a "Persian bottle." I might call the form "shaft and globe."
onion_Dutch.jpg onion_Dutch_half.jpg

nhpharm

Reaction score
I personally would disagree with Harry on this one. I've seen several of these in the Northeast over the years...the examples I have seen have a graphite pontil (as this one appears to have) and I think they are American. Definitely strange as they are clearly a copy of the earlier shaft and globe bottles from the UK but likely date to the late 1850's or early 1860's. They are mold blown (I can't remember if they are spun or if they have mold seams, but they are definitely mold blown and quite uniform).

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
I don't think this is a utility bottle, judging by the lip finish. This lip falls into the category of bud vase. I think it's a "Persian" bottle from the 20th Century.

All the "Persian" bottles I have seen are pontil-scarred. They are produced to catch the eye, sometimes by form, sometimes by color, often by both. Commonly, they are free-blown.

There is a TOC Dutch distiller which used a fair copy of an onion bottle, but those bottles are base-embossed and have no pontil scar.
We have two now . . . Any other opinions?

nhpharm

Reaction score
Harry,

Take a look at the base photo. Clearly blown in mold and appears to have a graphite or iron pontil. Also an applied lip.

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Harry,

Take a look at the base photo. Clearly blown in mold and appears to have a graphite or iron pontil. Also an applied lip.

I agree that the bottle is mold-blown.

The base scar appears to be a disc pontil, not an iron or "improved" pontil scar. But, that seems irrelevant.

This is not an applied lip -- why would an application of more glass be necessary to produce a flared lip! The lip was no doubt tooled; but, I doubt that the lip string was applied separately. The lipping tool may have squeezed the molded ring, producing a skirt of excess glass below the string.

We're having fun now! More opinions, please!

nhpharm

Reaction score
Harry,

The examples I have seen in person do have an applied lip...just like this one. Not sure why they did it rather than shearing and flaring but definitely a very well-formed applied lip on these. They are very well made bottles. If the poster can post a photo of the top of the lip you'll see what I am talking about. My guess is that they held some sort of liquor and I have seen several of them in the Northeast...including 1 that was pulled out of the attic of a house during an auction in northern New Hampshire when I was a kid...I still have a cathedral pickle bottle I bought at that auction.

Last edited:

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
We'll just have to agree to disagree about the construction of the bottle.

While I appreciate your stories, nhpharm, you are offering only anecdotal proof for your assertion of significant age and utility for this bottle. What we need is more opinions.

nhpharm

Reaction score
Sadly we don't get many opinions on this site anymore... Many of the posts I put up don't even get one comment (even though some of them get thousands of views).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky