Help with question about color

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

tropichahni

Reaction score
Hello, I am new here. I have only recently inherited a very large collection of bottles. My Grandma collected them over the space of 60 years. So there are boxes and boxes of them. I am learning what I can about them. I am also trying to sell some of them. I have come across a question which I can't find the answer to on a google search.

I have a few bottles which have streaking of the color... the one I recently came across is a flask (still trying to identify) and the streaks are purple. It isn't the iridescent color you see on the aged ones but its actually in the glass. Can someone tell me what this is from and how it lends to or detracts from the value or collect-ability of the bottle?

I will try and include pictures but since it is my first time here, I may not be able to figure that out.

Attachments

• 20170119_104935_001.jpg
    20170119_104935_001.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 139
  • 20170119_104920.jpg
    20170119_104920.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 126
  • 20170119_104828.jpg
    20170119_104828.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 139
  • 20170119_104818.jpg
    20170119_104818.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 154

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Hi, and welcome to the forum. Unfortunately what you've got here is a modern-ish reproduction of a historical flask, so in terms of value and collectibility it all depends on how much someone wants to stick it in their window. I'm not sure what exactly the streaking of the colour is due to, but I'm pretty sure it's just decoration to make it look nicer in someone's window. It's definitely a very nice looking bottle, but sadly not one that people are particularly likely to want to collect. Streaking like that is very rare in real antique bottles, and I don't think I've ever seen it occur anywhere other than an insulator because they usually wouldn't let something like that get past quality control.

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Is that a 1970s Lestoil flask?

Purple streaks like these typically are accidents in the making of the bottle. Odd color inclusions are not a collecting category; they do add to "character" of the bottle. As character, streaks may add to the collector interest in the bottle, but not by a large amount.

Purple streaks may be caused by incompletely mixed manganese dioxide, a widely-use decolorizer before WWI.

Last edited:

tropichahni

Reaction score
OK so looking through the internet I believe you are right Harry Pristis. This would actually make sense to me. I inherited a huge... I am talking in the thousands... glass collection of my Grandma's. She stopped collecting in the 70's. She used to do many dump site digs and most of her stuff has the sediment markings and this one does not. So it must have been something modern at the time she stopped her collection. Thanks for the help guys.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Do you have any Michigan bottles? LEON.

tropichahni

Reaction score
Do you have any Michigan bottles? LEON.

I am not sure yet... I have only gotten into the third box and each box I have to research each item and mark. Any clues as to what I should be looking for as a far as Michigan bottles? what does the mark look like and what type of bottles ? whisky?
I have so dang many bottles I don't know where to start. I have about 3 full boxes of jim beans and several boxes stuffed full of tiny medicine bottles of all shapes and sizes. This is going to take a long time to go through.

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
Where are you located? You best bet with a collection that huge is to find a club or collector near you to go through the collection with you and let you know what you have. Maybe someone in this forum lives nearby. Good luck!

tropichahni

Reaction score
Where are you located? You best bet with a collection that huge is to find a club or collector near you to go through the collection with you and let you know what you have. Maybe someone in this forum lives nearby. Good luck!

I am near Pensacola FL. I can't find anyone around here. I keep looking but so far haven't had luck.

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
I am near Pensacola FL. I can't find anyone around here. I keep looking but so far haven't had luck.

Check with the reference librarian at your local library. She is likely to have a list of local clubs and affinity groups. There are many bottle collectors in Florida.

hemihampton

Reaction score
There was a guy in here from that area, Cap Soda or something like that, Haven't seen him in here for a few years though? LEON.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi