Remarkable USS Constitution Lacey Glass Tray

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Mayhem

Reaction score
WOW! Collecting antiques in Southern California is both frustrating and rewarding. Frustrating in that very few real true antiques find their way out here. Rewarding in that the few antiques that do the owners don't know what they have. Here is an example I paid $5 for.
I recognized it as American pressed lacy glass circa 1820 to 1850 because of the crude sharp edges and the heavy weight. Lacy glass is 33% lead and if you hold it correctly and hit it rings like a bell. I was initially weary of the piece because of the color. American pressed glass of the later period 1850 -1910 is made with manganese instead of lead and will purple when exposed to ultraviolet light (sunlight). Also, I have never personally seen a piece of colored lacy glass and the only images of this piece I could find online are clear.
However, after close examination and research I am now convince it is real American pressed lacy glass circa 1820 to 1850 intentionally colored during manufacture. In the attached pictures note the swirls of color. Particularly around the "U.S.F." initials. In the picture taken outside against the sky the beige you see is my reflection.

If anyone out there has a differing opinion I would love to here it.

Attachments

• DSCN6888.jpg
    DSCN6888.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 323
  • DSCN6892.jpg
    DSCN6892.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 322
  • DSCN6893.jpg
    DSCN6893.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 342
  • DSCN6896.jpg
    DSCN6896.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 321
Last edited:

Mayhem

Reaction score
Update: A clear one of these sold in December 2015 for $550. It was described as follows: Boston and Sandwich Glass Company miniature tray, with "USS Constitution" ship, rectangular, border composed of alternating hearts and six-pointed stars, wide scallop and point rim double-rope table ring, 1833-1845, ref. Barlow and Kaiser, figure 1052; 1" h x 7" l x 4 1/2" w.

klaatu

Reaction score
That is a beautiful piece of glass.

STFoster

Reaction score
I have this exact same dish. I have been doing a lot of research on them and cannot find any value online for the colored ones only the clear. Pairpoint glass made colored ones to celebrate Boston Sandwich glass. Not sure who made it, I am guessing pairpoint since I cannot find any colored Lacy glass trays like this in the Sandwich companies name.

wmoore

Reaction score
These trays were reproduced, most in clear but some in color.
Unfortunately this is a reproduction piece, they can be distinguished from original sandwich products by the row of dots just outside the shoulder hearts, these are not a feature found on the originals.
Also the pristine condition is a give away as the flint originals always have chipping of the scallops and points, in addition the belltone ring is absent in the repro's.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu