Dallas Fort Worth area bottle digging

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
not from there but looking at the map of the area , it looks really built up that part of texas . I can't imagine there'd be a lot of digging options in the built up area , although as you get further away from the city , there appears to be more small towns and farmland

theonlykikki

Reaction score
Oak Cliff which is a suburb of Dallas is the oldest part of the area. I saw someone on here that said they found the old town dump and lots of great bottles but the post is very old. I've researched to no avail to try and find the location of the dump. Any tips on how to find it. I've researched old maps, sent messages to the oak cliff conservation people, etc., etc.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
From looking at Google Maps, if I was you I'd go exploring in the woods around the area where Zang Blvd crosses Cedar Creek. There's an area of undeveloped land there that looks like prime dump area. Remember, you generally can't build houses on top of an old dump so they're often left undeveloped and overgrown. Old dumps can be covered over by high rises, universities, parks, rail yards, supermarkets, warehouses, and that sort of thing, but usually not houses. And read through old newspapers if you can find any, you can often find locations of old dumps that way. But a lot of dumps can be found just by looking at aerial maps. I would be very surprised if there isn't a dump in the area I specified, though it could very well be too modern to dig. Finding dumps isn't too hard, finding dumps that you can and want to dig is a whole different matter.

theonlykikki

Reaction score
Interesting. His thread did say a creek runs through the dump. Thanks for the info!

theonlykikki

Reaction score
One of the images he posted on his thread.
3FF768B84AD04192AB1E617743753B22.jpg

theonlykikki

Reaction score
His original post:

Old Oak Cliff Dump In Dallas

"Hello good folks. I'm new here and to old bottles. Posting to announce that I have found the original Oak Cliffdump in southwest Dallas, Texas. It is overgrown with brush and a forest. The dump layers range from 2 to 6 feet deep and cover about 8 acres. The site is red-lined from development. In 20 minutes I can fill a 5 gallon bucket with intact general consumer products glass containers and house wares that range in date from the 1890s to about 1954. I've cleaned a few choice ones for home decor and wonder if there is value worth pursuing in that dig. Suggestions are welcome."​

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Yup, I'm almost positive it's the area I highlighted then. Though that looks like very modern stuff and not the sort of thing that I would consider digging. Looks like 1950's-70's.

hemihampton

Reaction score
I think I remember that post. And now like then I thought, I'd like to see some pics of some 1890's stuff he said was in there because all I ever seen was newer 1950's stuff? LEON.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panama Canal digger