Orange kist- Citrus Products Co. Canada

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Canadacan

Reaction score
Orange kist was introduced to Canada in 1920, this is based on an ad from Winnipeg by E.L. Drewry Ltd. Interestingly is was sold in many places in Canada before a lot of places in the USA had it available. I am also going to feature a early company Orange Kist bottle that is also embossed Lemonella on one side, I took the liberty to pose my Kist label on the bottle because I believe 99% that it is correct, It gives us a rare look at an early label and bottle. I had no idea this bottle existed and assumed bottlers used their own bottles...that may have been partly correct as you will see in the posted advertisings, the bottles depicted are embossed E.L. Drewry...and the labels are marked with the bottler as well.

This ad features the first lable, I noticed it does not mention Lemon flavor. Another interesting fact is that Orange Kist was not listed in the Gazette until March 7, 1922.
Orange Kist- Drewry- The Winnipeg Tribune, 27 Apr 1920, Tue
Orange Kist- Drewrys- The Winnipeg Tribune, 27 Apr 1920, Tue.jpg

And just over a month later the ads have Lemon-Kist shown.
The Winnipeg Tribune Saturday 5 June 1920

The Winnipeg Tribune Saturday 5 June 1920.jpeg

By this time in 1922 is looks as though Lemonella was introduced....and I'm not exactly sure what that was!..lol, I also do not know for how long the flavor was sold.
Drewry's- The Winnipeg Tribune- Monday 17July 1922

Drewry's- The Winnipeg Tribune- Monday 17July 1922.jpg

kist-Official Gazette of the United States Patent Office, 7 Mar 1922, Tue, Page 181
kist-Official Gazette of the United States Patent Office, 7 Mar 1922, Tue, Page 181.jpg

Canadacan

Reaction score
Next the bottle and label!...I believe this to be the second generation label that was used up to 1927-28, it is possible there was a variation in between as label designs evolved fairly quick.
Kist-pinit - Copy.jpg

Here is the bottle without the label, the last two photos show the print at the heel 'CITRUS PRODUCTS OF CANADA' it's also marked 'MIN. 6 FL. OZS.'
No maker mark is visible.

20170128_153919.jpg20170128_154058.jpg

20170128_154746.jpg20170128_154813.jpg

Of course I can't forget the other two labels from Citrus Products co.! Loko and Chocolate Soldier.
I do not know if they made a Canadian version of the CS label but I figured they just imported US labels at the time for that product.
These labels are from the Chippewa find last year.....I tell you I'd sure love to see a Lemonella label!

Kist-Loko.jpg

Last edited:

Canadacan

Reaction score
I never could find the registration date for Citrus Products Co. Canada, but I do know that Kist Canada limited Stratford was incorporated on January 18, 1933.
But under the old name the Art deco style bottle was born, they have the patent embossed FEB. 19, 1927....the first versions would have been the 6oz size.....and probably the tall 7oz was introduced in the early 1930's and at some point a 28oz was introduced. This style of bottle also has an ACL version in the centre logo, at least for the USA they do have them, I can't determine if Canada had them or not.
The art deco style was used up to 1939...with some obvious overlap as the old style was depleted and replaced with the new ACL.

A bottle made of orange slices!
Kist Canada 1930's-pin.jpg

The next generation of bottles spanned many years, the earliest ones have Reg. 1939 on the base.
The 30oz I have no year on it, the middle one is an 11oz size dated 1942 and the 10oz on the end is from 1954 and is the only ACL Kist bottle in this style that has the bottlers name on the back. This is pretty much where my bottles end for me as I have nothing from the 1960's generation, but I'm sure I'll add some at one point, would also love to get a couple of signs, cartons and other items.

20170129_004841.jpg

Cross & Co. from Vancouver BC started distributing Kist around 1947...they were formerly the distributor for Whistle from very early on, about 1922 in fact, I do not know what prompted the company to make the change.
20170129_005011.jpg

My lonely little Kist opener.
20170129_010425.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
i haven't seen the citrus products of Canada embossed bottle with label before , it must be fairly uncommon , do you know if it was sold in Ontario or was it a western Canada product ?

here is a picture of 4 of the kist bottles I have , found many more of the red label ones but there mostly ruined from being outdoors or in water for so long

P1290001.jpg

iggyworf

Reaction score
Those are all very cool. Some great history. I love those labels. I have 2 Kist bottles.
the 1st is from Georgia and the 2nd I am not sure but I think it is from my home state Michigan. They are currently packed away in crates for my basement remodel.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• kist 10 oz.jpg
    kist 10 oz.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 340
  • kist 10 oz georgia.jpg
    kist 10 oz georgia.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 373
Last edited:

RCO

Reaction score
there is a listing in one of the books I have for a "citrus products of Canada ltd " in Stratford Ontario but only for 1930 , can't seem to find anything else by that name

Canadacan

Reaction score
It was sold in Ontario as the Orange and Loko labels I have are marked Stratford.....the listing you found for Citrus Products Of Canada ltd would be correct for 1930.

That bottle I posted is pretty scarce..it is the first I had seen in 30 years of collecting, then last night after posting the bottle on Facebook my friend from Calgary posts another and says 'I think I have the sister' LOL!!!
That blew me away!....needless to say I think he realizes the significance of that bottle now, that's only the second bottle I've seen. As for these early labels I have seen no others and at this point consider them pretty darn scarce.

I will continue to search the archives in hope of uncovering more information.

Last edited:

RCO

Reaction score
was bored earlier so I was searching thru sold listings on ebay to see what I missed and found a few interesting bottles I hadn't seen before .

this one isn't a kist bottle but it sure looks like one , it appears to be the same bottle kist used and the same colour
but its for a local bottler from Chatham/Essex in southern Ontario , I've never seen it before and though it was interesting

maedel'sbeverages.jpgmaedel'sbeverages1.jpg

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ACL-Soda-bot...685355?hash=item1ebf5ee1eb:g:V10AAOSwa~BYc-sv

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi