Thread: Labeled Bottles

Senior Member Bottle Master Spirit Bear's Avatar

Labeled Bottles

Unrelated to the last thread (I didn't know about it till today), I also made a black background for small-item photography as I thought it would cause the viewer to focus on the item, as well as make the colour pop.
    Just a little coloured paper for winter blues:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Board 016.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	176990

Name:	New Board 017.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	176991

The black background does great for coloured items:

Name:	First Radio 022.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	176992
    Especially Depression Glass.
    Have I not commanded thee? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

Joshua chapter 1, verse 9.

Senior Member Bottle Master Road Dog's Avatar
    Nice. I like the Blob top.

Thank you. I am guessing you refer to the far-right pre-1886 applied-blob Guinness, which you can find here:
    http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stor...t-bottle?in=78
    Have I not commanded thee? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

Senior Member Bottle Master Road Dog's Avatar
    Actually the blob between the Trojan and the Whiskey.

Bottle circa 1883-1895, Thatcher closure. Label I can only find circa 1914 reference on, so it's probably an old label stuck on an older bottle.
    Link to post on it and IDing non-original labels:
    https://www.antique-bottles.net/show...bel-Collectors

Senior Member Bottle Master
    I'm always paranoid about displaying old label bottles , always worried that i'll damage them or sun will damage them . don't actually even have that many of them , do have an old local ginger ale but never found a proper way to display it so its sitting off to the side

DO NOT:
    put in direct sunlight
    under, above, or near strong light of any kind
    put near sources of humidity (basements, kitchens, bathrooms, fish tanks, etc.)
    tightly wrap label in plastic (if brittle, plastic wrap will damage it. If it cannot breath, it will hold humidity and deteriorate. Most plastic wrap is not acid-free, so it will cause a reaction in the label if it touches it, over time.)

I let mine sit free, mostly in humidity-controlled environments (that are moderate, to keep from drying out, and won't fluctuate much). I don't wrap them.

If you find archival quality plastic (preferably something stiff), and use it as a shield, they should be fine. The biggest worry is fading. It doesn't have to be in direct sunlight for it to fade.

Member New Bottler GLASSHOPPER55's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Bear View Post
    DO NOT:
    put in direct sunlight
    under, above, or near strong light of any kind
    put near sources of humidity (basements, kitchens, bathrooms, fish tanks, etc.)
    tightly wrap label in plastic (if brittle, plastic wrap will damage it. If it cannot breath, it will hold humidity and deteriorate. Most plastic wrap is not acid-free, so it will cause a reaction in the label if it touches it, over time.)

I let mine sit free, mostly in humidity-controlled environments (that are moderate, to keep from drying out, and won't fluctuate much). I don't wrap them.

If you find archival quality plastic (preferably something stiff), and use it as a shield, they should be fine. The biggest worry is fading. It doesn't have to be in direct sunlight for it to fade.
    Absolutely, Spirit. Lucky to find label bottles so utmost protection is needed.
    "Digging Up the Past --- One Bottle at a Time, Since 1969"

They're my specialty. 1890s-1910s bottles.