Hexagonal large glass jar

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

albacore

Reaction score
Hello folks,
found this old jar and cleaned it up, it approx 12" in diameter- any ides on age or function. its got no markings except a vague 'o' or 'Q' underneat.
Its got a very thick base and bubbles in the glass.Thanks Alan

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 111
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 125
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 110

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't think that one's very old. Age is probably 1970's or so, function is holding bulk food and looking nice on your kitchen counter. At least that's the case if I'm seeing it correctly. It doesn't look like a real antique jar to me. Where did you find it?

albacore

Reaction score
image.jpgI found it in a junk shop in Ireland. There are large bubbles in the glass - would that indicate age?

Last edited:

saratogadriver

Reaction score
Its made in an automatic bottle machine. See the ring around the neck just below the lip? That puts it post 1900.

It looks like stuff I've seen in places like Pier 1. Don't think it has much age or value. Sorry.

Jim g

albacore

Reaction score
Its made in an automatic bottle machine. See the ring around the neck just below the lip? That puts it post 1900.

It looks like stuff I've seen in places like Pier 1. Don't think it has much age or value. Sorry.

Jim g

Cheers , odd one- dont know anything about glass but its very heavily cast- the base it about 1" thicj in places but varies , cant see it being from the recent past- its quite imperfect and 'wavy'.

Anyway it cracked badly while just stting on the coffee table here tonight- just went bang all of a sudden! Never seen that happen before- pity it had a quality feel to it

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Saratogadriver has provided good insight into the origin of this jar.

Glass bottles are not cast; they are blown, either by hand or by machine, in a dynamic process. Sometimes, stress induced by that dynamic process is "frozen" into the cooling glass. Later, the glass may crack along a stress line, sometimes triggered by a sharp temperature change. This has nothing to do with the age of the glass.

diggansearch

Reaction score
It´s a odd jar (demi?) I´m sure of one thing it belong to XX century. It might date after 20´s. Pity,it was nice in the integer shape.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi