Unexpected Jobsite Find

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Reaction score
I found this bottle on a job site in PA and it interested me enough to Google research it. Apparently Dr. J.S. Rose began practicing medicine inPhiladelphia in 1825 and produced his own proprietary medicines in the 1840s and 1850s. I learned that J.S. Rose bottles are rare and Eye Water wasn't on any list of known bottles I could find which leads me to believe that this is a really rare one and might be the only one known.

here are the specs: 3 1/8" tall, aqua in color, has an open pontil and an inward rolled lip. It's kind of crude but is in near perfect shape with no chips, scratches, or cracks but has a small bubble or two. No seams are visible. It's embossed 'Eye Water' down the front, 'Dr. J.S. Rose's' down the right side and 'Phil' down the left side with a very faint 'a' showing.

So has anybody here ever seen one of these or know somebody who has? I'm just trying to understand just how rare this bottle is and maybe get a ballpark estimate on its worth to a collector...

-Guy

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 307

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Well it's not in Matt's Antique Medicine Bottle Nexus, so I'm thinking it's a very rare one, though hard to say just how rare. Definitely a very good find! Sadly I can't give a ballpark estimate but certainly a lot more than your average jobsite find bottle.

whittled

Reaction score
Sure it is CB, Also in Greer, #1483, For value condition is key and listed at 100-120 presuming VG or better. Greers sold for 120 in 1989 but I don't see a big jump for today either.
It's still a nice mid 19th century bottle and a good catch and save from the bulldozer.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Look for & save as many old bottles as you can. Save History & better then seeing them lost forever or tossed in garbage, ect. Nice find. Congrats. LEON.

Reaction score
Thanks all for your responses! An unexpected find that has become an accidental hobby. I already found and dug a privy on the same site. The bottles were mostly 1920s but I think I found some that were a bit older. Found two embossed Hires Household Extract bottles, one clear and one a nice light blue-green, an embossed clear Linonine bottle from Danbury, CT, an embossed Tournade's Kitchen Extract bottle, an embossed clear Tonsiline bottle with a giraffe on the front, a clear embossed HHH Medicine bottle, about 10 A-1 Sauce bottles with two different embossed font styles, a cobalt ink pot, a Waterman's 2oz ink pot, a cool green art deco threaded jar, and about 20 glass stoppers in clear and green with two embossed GARSONS. I also found about 10 really small art deco bottles that I think were perfume samples.

I think I'm hooked!

hemihampton

Reaction score
The Cobalt Ink sounds like a good one. Gotta a pic of that one? LEON.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi