7up 7 bubble variation!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODABOB

Reaction score
Rich

That's a good question about the molds. Have you compared your 6 1/2 ounce bottle to other 7up bottles in your collection?

Such as ...

1. Measure Height - Base Diameter - Etc.

2. Measure Maximum Capacity? Fill various bottles to the rim/overfill. Then pour into measuring cup to determine fluid ounces.

Doing that might tell you something!

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
Rich

I just conducted my own experiment using a 1952 7 ounce bottle. I filled it to the rim and then poured it into two different measuring cups - one of which is a standard type of measuring cup and the other is a measuring cup that measures by tea spoons, table spoons, and ounces. I conducted the test several times and the result was the same every time. My 1952 7 ounce bottle holds exactly ...

​8 Fluid Ounces

hemihampton

Reaction score
Did you fill to the top. The Factory filled bottles left alot of air space in neck. LEON. 7UPFullLine.JPG7UPFullLine2.JPG

Unless some of mine evaporated?

Texandave

Reaction score
Ok guys, How many 6 Fl. Ozs. green 7up bottles were made? Mine shown earlier has R.R. ROCHELL, B'HAM, ALA embossed around the base of it. It also has the dimple embossed 7up neck. This was the first one I have seen in twenty years of collecting.

SODABOB

Reaction score
HH

I filled my 7 ounce bottle to the top - that's the only way of knowing its maximum capacity. When filled by the bottler originally, it would have held a minimum of 7 ounces. If iggy's 1941 L.A. 6 1/2 ounce bottle tops out at 7 1/2 ounces, then that would indicate the molds were two different sizes.

Tex

I'm not sure about the 6 ounce bottles - but maybe iggy knows

SODABOB

Reaction score
Tex

I took a quick look around and found three 6 ounce 7up bottles - all three of which are from Birmingham, Alabama

SODABOB

Reaction score
iggy

Here's your 1941 Los Angeles 3-1-3 bottle along side a San Bernardino 3-1-3 bottle for comparison ...

7up Bottle iggy's 313 LA 1941 (2).jpg7up Bottle Owens Illinois Mark San Bernardino CA.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
Observation ...

Even though the Los Angeles bottle was closer to the camera and appears larger, they are probably the same size in real life. However, one thing that likely isn't an optical illusion is the placement of the neck shield. Notice the shield on the Los Angeles bottle is higher up on the neck than it is on the San Bernardino bottle. But whether this was intentional or accidental, I do not know.

SODABOB

Reaction score
Jb

I ran across a few of the 6 1/2 ounce paper label bottles, too, but discounted them because they were not ACLs. If you decide to research them, please let us know what locations and dates you come up with.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado