7up 7 bubble variation!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

iggyworf

Reaction score
Here we go again with another strange 7up bottle. Some of you may know I collect 7up's. I would like to show another one.

This 7up bottle has a very different variation. This one deals with the position of the 7 bubbles on the shield. First notice the common position of the arrangement of bubbles. From left side to right side, 2 bubbles then in the middle 2 bubbles then on the right side 3 bubbles. This is the typical arrangement of bubbles for '7 bubble' bottles.

Next to it is pictured the odd bottle I just recently got. Notice the arrangement. Left side 3 bubbles, middle 1 bubble, right side 3 bubbles. Now this is not an '8 bubble' with the bottom middle bubble missing. The swimsuit girl has 7 bubbles above her arms. The 8 bubble swimsuit girl always had 8 bubbles above her arms.

7up 7 bubble.jpg7up LA 7 bubble.jpg
7up LA 7 bubble close up 2.jpg7up white 8 bubble girl close up 1936 3.jpg

I have seen one other bottle like this about a year ago but was unable to purchase it. And that one was is much better shape than the one I have now. That and this one are the only ones I have ever seen. Mine is from L.A. California. Not sure of the bottler as that portion of the ACL is missing. My bottle is an Owens Illinois from 1941. The plant code # is 23, which is L.A. but according to some charts they didn't bottle anything until 1949, so that is a little confusing. But the date code is a 1 with a period after it.

more pics
7up LA 7 bubble 2.jpg7up LA 7 bubble back.jpg

(not sure why yet but I put pics side by side and when I posted finished post it put the pics all aligned under each other)??

Last edited:

Canadacan

Reaction score
Cool!, never seen that variation....yea you have to join your side by side photos before posting.

M.C.Glass

Reaction score
There are a lot of varieties of 7up labels, front and back. I don't have one, but there are transition bottles that have 7 bubbles on the main ACL and 8 bubbles still on the neck. There are one foot and two foot girls too. Your 8 bubble girl looks like a full thighed matron!

iggyworf

Reaction score
Thanx everybody! Canadacan I had a feeling that was the prob with posting the pics.

Jbeas31

Reaction score
I was also watching that one on eBay. Glad you got it Iggyworf! Definitely different.

I first noticed the "fuller thigh" bubble girl as MCglass did when I saw it. Just noticed it's a 6 1/2 oz bottle too!

SODABOB

Reaction score
Rich / iggy

I have been experiencing computer problems (again) and just recently got some of it fixed, which included having to transfer 10,000+ images to a back up chip. Part of my problem is that I rarely delete pictures from my files, but plan to try and do more of that in the future. Anyway, I'm back in the saddle again and hopefully won't have any more problems.

Just for the heck of it, I am categorizing your latest find as a ...

3-1-3 Bubble Label

That way I will more easily remember and recognize it in future searches. I think we all agree that 7up probably has the most variations (front and back labels) of any ACL soda bottles know. But what we don't know (at least I don't) is whether those variations were random whims of the individual bottlers or intentional by the parent company as some way of identifying regions, dates, etc. In other words, if all of the 3-1-3 bottles are from Los Angeles and/or a particular bottler in the Los Angeles area, then that might tell us something specific about them. But if the 3-1-3 bottles are from all over the country, then that will tell us something else entirely. So with that said, I intend to ...

1. Look at every picture of a 7up ACL bottle I have on file and see if any of them have the 3-1-3 bubble label.

2. Conduct a new search (Internet / Books / Etc) and see if I can find any 3-1-3 bubble label bottles.

I will report back in a few days and let you know if I find anything.

Bob

SODABOB

Reaction score
Instead of saying I will be back in a few days, I should have said in a few minutes ...

Here's a 3-1-3 I just found that's from ...

San Bernardino, California

(Which is about 30+ miles east of Los Angeles)

I don't know the date but it was described as having an Owens-Illinois mark on the base. Unfortunately, it doesn't tell us anything definite, but its a start ...

I'll be back

7up Bottle Owens Illinois Mark San Bernardino CA.jpg

iggyworf

Reaction score
Hey bob! Good to hear from you. Hope the comp probs go away for you. Thanx For checking out this bottle.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18