Chestnut Flask ?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

McCraine

Reaction score
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Mottled green color, it has a cork (?) intact in lip, dregs inside bottom, painting on outside of one side, neck of bottle is crooked not straight, neck glass shows imperfections, 13" tall. SHA Archaeologist said it might be a chestnut flask, but shape is unusual enough so he wasn't 100% sure. Any thoughts or ideas? Album has more images.

[/FONT] 8322.jpg8329.jpg8340.jpg

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Are you certain it's a painting and not an applique? It doesn't appear to me to be oil paint. The construction appears to date to the second half of the 19th C. My guess is that this is novelty bottle, perhaps for a Dutch schnapps. Or, it is a unique, hand-crafted effort to make the bottle seem older than it is.

nhpharm

Reaction score
I agree with Harry...second half of 19th century and probably Dutch. Definitely Continental. If that is a real painting and not an applique, then someone was a pretty good artist...

McCraine

Reaction score
I appreciate your quick reply, as any help with this bottle that has been in my family for 75 years is truly appreciated. I will post in my album a comment from an archaeologist that actually gave me the link to your bottle website. Any further commentary would be appreciated as well. Thank you!

McCraine

Reaction score
I am uncertain about the image...painting vs applique. Without actually trying to cut away/scrape part of the painting I don't know how to tell exactly. I wasn't sure the actual process of 'painting' on glass and what it entails. I'll post a couple more images and archaeologist commentary too. Thank you for your comments!

whittled

Reaction score
I'd lump it in the Bocksbeutel form and many were mouth blown even in the 30's. Without looking at it with a loop I can't be certain about the image, leaning toward a print with heavy coat of varnish. People have been making fakes since antiquing has been popular, starting sometime BC.:)

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu