Bottled / Carbonated Kool Aid History?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
I didn't know Kool-Aid went back before the '60s, and I didn't know it was now forgotten? It's all around here: Pacquets of it and bottled versions, albeit I thought it was basically powdered juice!

Canadacan

Reaction score
Found a couple of ads for you...the earliest mention was 1934, but these ones show the bottle!

kool Aid- Green Bay Press-Gazette (Wisconsin) May 5 1948

kool Aid- Green Bay Press-Gazette (Wisconsin) May 5 1948.jpg

Kool-Aid The Muscatine (Iowa) Journal and News-Tribune, 14 Apr 1949, Thu
Kool-Aid   The Muscatine (Iowa) Journal and News-Tribune,  14 Apr 1949, Thu.jpg

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I didn't know Kool-Aid went back before the '60s, and I didn't know it was now forgotten? It's all around here: Pacquets of it and bottled versions, albeit I thought it was basically powdered juice!
I didn't know it went back that far either. I see it around here sometimes, I think the reason people may think it's forgotten is because you rarely see anyone over the age of 15 drinking it, so everyone remembers it from when they were a kid - even though modern kids know what it is too. I've never seen bottled versions for sale though, only the packets. I definitely wouldn't describe it as powdered juice ha ha, more like what you'd get if you took a can of supermarket brand fruit-flavoured soda and left it out to go flat.

shadeone

Reaction score
Canadacan... THATS what I'm talking about!! Thanks!!!!!

Kool Aid as a brand isn't a forgotten thing. It's still going strong. The forgotten part of it is what I'm specifically talking about here... the carbonated version sold in bottles from the 30s to the 50s which seemed to die when General Foods got the brand in the 50s.
The powdered form that is still available now has a fascinating history itself, that goes all the way back to 1927, but that's just powder that you add water with some sugar for a non-fizzy drink.

Canadacan

Reaction score
Here you go......so it would seem they started bottling in 1948, and by the mid 50's to the ads for bottles seem to disappear...about the same time (1954) the big smiling pitcher appears on the scene...they ran a contest to give him a name in 1958, maybe they found more profit in the packages?

Kool-Aid The Sheboygan Press, 18 May 1955, Wed (Wisconsin).....source credit newspapers dot com.
Kool-Aid   The Sheboygan Press,  18 May 1955, Wed (Wisconsin).jpg

kool-Aid Green Bay Press-Gazette, (Green Bay, Wisconsin) 24 Jun 1948, Thu. .....source credit newspapers dot com.

kool-Aid   Green Bay Press-Gazette, (Green Bay, Wisconsin) 24 Jun 1948, Thu.jpg

whittled

Reaction score
If you want to try some just buy one of the soda stream fizz machines. It's the same CO2 infusion idea that been used for 'bout the last 200 years. ;)
Also, the Munsey articles (including a follow-up) are on his website http://www.cecilmunsey.com/ . Just type kool aid in the search box.

shadeone

Reaction score
Ladies and gentlemen, after many many hours saving, cropping and resizing, I present to you the unofficial carbonated Kool Aid advertising archive! This is every single newspaper ad I could find relating to the beverage. With the exception of a California ad and a couple Arizona ads, these are all from Wisconsin and Michigan. My apologies for repeating previously posted ads, but I am a completist ;)

Click each picture for a larger version!

1940:

1941:

1942:

1944:

1945:

1947:

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members