1880's? Danish Pewter?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Palmandan

Reaction score
I have been asked by a friend to sell these two bottles on eBay. I am someone who only sells vintage clothing and accessories online, so I am turning to you folks for help. To my eye they look like modern Mateus wine bottles, but he says they are hand-blown and from @ the1880s’. The pewter decorations are marked “Denmark.”

In his words - the bottles have “…. push-ups on the bottom and are ground for standing properly… The push-ups may have been pontils - glazed over with a torch to smooth them. The bottles show bubbles and imperfections. There are mold seams on the sides, but not on the necks.”

The corks are old and stuck.

Opinions? Suggestions? Questions? Thanks so much in advance. Amanda

Can't seem to use your photo system - hope this works - oh... guess I did!
http://imgsrv.sellersourcebook.com/users/20521/bothpost.jpg

Attachments

• bothpost.jpg
    bothpost.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 89
  • bothpost.jpg
    bothpost.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 77

Palmandan

Reaction score
Thank you Jim-I tend to agree with you...the only problem is...this fellow insists that the bottles themselves are old and that the decoration with the airplane was added much later. And I said I'd list them for him before I even saw them. Where do you need more detailed photos?

nhpharm

Reaction score
It may be that they are older and the airplanes were added more recently...are the airplanes glued on or are they part of the pewter? If glued on, bottles and pewter parts are likely 1890's-1920's era. If part of the pewter, all bets are off...1930's-1940's.

The bad news is that regardless of age this stuff tends not to sell well at all on eBay...so if your friend thinks they will get a lot for them, it is unlikely. By the way, they are not pontiled.

Last edited:

botlguy

Reaction score
If we had pix of just the bottles, close ups of the top & neck, bottom and side seam, if any, we may be able to date them more closely. I agree that the age is somewhat moot, the value probably isn't there. No harm trying eBay, just the time involved. I've been surprised before.
Jim

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
beth 264