Help identifying beer/wine (?) squat bottle.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

sandchip

Reaction score
Thanks for your response, Harry. This is what it's all about in trying to figure out how bottles were made in a time before Youtube and from which there is no one left alive to tell us. This may or may not be straying from the original subject yet seeming relevant in the big picture, but "shearing" of the bottle from the blowpipe has never been a popular theory with me, if taken literally in its execution with what, from the pictures I've seen, looks like a large pair of tin snips. Was the neck: 1. Sheared like a piece of clear vinyl tubing at the hardware store? or 2. Did the worker poke a hole in the side of the hot, plastic glass tube (bottle neck), insert the tip of one blade and began cutting around its circumference? or 3. Did they make a pinch cut in one side of the neck to create the hole before cutting? None of the aforementioned "guesses" seem practical at all to me, but instead quite time consuming, not to mention frustrating. In working with glass in its hot, plastic (and very sticky) state, it would seem that: 1. would result in a neck opening pinched shut. 2. probably the same result as 1. as the neck is pushed in from the side, contacting the other side before being perforated by the shears' blade tip. or 3. might actually work, but still result in having to open that portion of the neck stuck together by the pinch cut. With the bottle held horizontally (presumably with a snap), the edge of a thin, wet, wooden paddle (like a paint stir stick) being held against the neck in the desired point of separation, bottle rotated and blowpipe rapped, all taking place in mere seconds, wetting seems so much more productive in terms of time with zero deformation of the neck opening. All this is my opinion, and only an opinion.

Harry, it may just be you and me, partner because I feel like everybody else has left the room, but I hope others will chime in with their opinions. I'm admittedly a bottle junkie. Not a day has passed since I was 14 when I haven't thought about old bottles at least once, well, dozens of times. Maybe this old carpenter/sign maker should've taken up glassblowing instead, huh?

There's glass blowing studio about 20 minutes from here. Maybe the craftsmen there can offer some insight on the matter, although most of theirs is offhand work with very little use of molds.

sunrunner

Reaction score
common t . o . c bottle malt extract . yours ? 1890s.

tropichahni

Reaction score
I don't know if this helps any... along the edge, under the lip or applied top. I have no idea the right technical term. I have observed that most of the glass from the molded finish has adhered to the bottle neck but there is one place where there is a clear space where some dirt has even gotten up in it making it so it looks like the finish was indeed applied after and pressed against the hot glass and this small spot didn't adhere as well as the rest. Maybe It is insignificant but that is the only other thing I have noticed about it. And to be honest... I am really confused now about what is being questioned. I thought it was clearly an applied finish but is it now being questioned?

tropichahni

Reaction score
Ok One other thing... I don't recall who said it but the idea that they cut off the glass top ... in this case seems plausable, first because you can clearly see a jagged line where the neck ends and is pressed against the glass if it had been a clean cut, I think it would have been a much smoother line... but I may be wrong. Also because there is a big scar leading to the top which could have been a slip of the scissors but... that then leads me to the question... would it have been cut while it was still turning in the mold?

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Tropichahni . . . Your bottle is as Sunrunner just summarized, a malt extract (a "dietary supplement" today) with an applied lip. Your bottle was not blown in a full height mold. Sandchip and I are in the weeds discussing which sort of full height mold was most likely used to make other bottles.

Sandchip . . . I shouldn't have tried to distinguish between "sheared" and "wetted off." It was a needless flourish. Can we agree that a full height mold bottle was separated from the blow-pipe while still in the mold, then the opening was tooled for uniformity while still in the mold. At this point, the bottle would have a full length side seam. Only further tooling or fire polishing would 'wipe' the seam from the lip.

A full height turn mold bottle was turned in the mold by the blow-pipe attachment or by the lipping tool. Seams would have been wiped, perhaps completely at the lip by fire polishing.

We are close to, if not past, the point of diminishing returns on this subject.

sandchip

Reaction score
Hopefully getting close, brother. LOL

BUT, I still got pictures to post when I get time. Meanwhile, catch yer breath!

Oh, the infinite tangential discussions of bottledom. Sorry 'bout that, Tropichahni.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac