Puce/Amber Globe and Shaft Style Vinegar Bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ACLbottles

Reaction score
I picked this up this somewhat unusual bottle today that I'm looking for more information on. When I first saw it, I thought it might be a fairly modern bottle, but it appears to have some real age to it. It appears to have an applied top with a ring around it. It's not quite an amber color; it looks to be more puce than amber. None of my pictures do a great job of showing the bottle's true color; they make it look more amber than it really is. It resembles an earlier shaft and globe style bottle with a round body and a long neck. The base is smooth and is very weakly embossed with what looks like B B & Co (which would indicate that it was made by the Baltimore Glass Works from 1852-1905). I tried to capture this in the pictures, but it's so weakly embossed that it's tough to say for sure what it says. The only other embossing at all is the words "Vinegar Bottle" on the front in a downward arch. It's only around 5 1/4" tall and 3 inches across at its widest point. Has anybody seen one of these bottles before? Can anyone tell me anything about it? I took plenty of pictures in an attempt to show its color. It's a really cool bottle! Thanks for anything!

IMG_3386.jpgIMG_3387.jpgIMG_3389.jpgIMG_3390.jpgIMG_3391.jpgIMG_3393.jpgIMG_3394.jpgIMG_3406.jpgIMG_3374.jpgIMG_3375.jpgIMG_3371.jpg

sandchip

Reaction score
I don't have a clue other than what you've already stated. Beautiful color, I can see the puce easily in several of the pictures. Sure has that Baltimore color.

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
What a nice addition to a food bottle collection! I could find no listing for this bottle in Zumwalt's KETCHUP, PICKLES, SAUCES. In thumbing through Zumwalt's book, I was struck by how uncommon this French wine lip is on American bottles at TOC20. The color is unusual and the embossment is in English; but, I think you should consider the likelihood that this is a French import. This may have been marketed as a premium French wine vinegar in a table-ready cruet. Whatever it is, I like it.

saratogadriver

Reaction score
We used to have someone on here who knew their way around typefaces. Something about the typeface "Vinegar Bottle" doesn't look right to me, maybe it's the droopy Ts? I can't tell exactly what, but it doesn't feel like an old script.

Something about this bottle just feels like an import to me. But I can't give a really good definition on that.

Jim G

ACLbottles

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! This bottle isn't really in my area of collecting, but I thought it was interesting enough to pick up, especially since it was only $5!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado