local history books stolen from thrift store auction

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
weird story from today , had dropped by a thrift store to check on an auction item I had seen earlier . they had a couple local history books that covered the lake of bays area , one was very detailed and on the " Dwight " area which is a small town on lake of bays and I hadn't seen that book before

when I first saw the books they were set at an opening bid of $5 and only had 1 bid

about a week or so later I returned to the store , only to find the books were no longer in the auction area and no where to be found . I checked the bidding book and the bidding had reach $30 and had several other bids . but was written in book " this item has been stolen "

like really someone stole the books before the auction ended ? how pitiful are some people

no word if they caught the people responsible or have any idea who stole the books from the auction​

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
That's a really bizarre item to steal. I know some local history books can be very valuable but I wouldn't expect your average meth-head to know that, so I have a hard time imagining that they were stolen for money. But I also have a hard time imagining that a local history buff would steal some books from a thrift store to save $30. It's weird, it's a crime that really doesn't have any clear motive. I guess it could have been someone with mental illness who took them for reasons that no one else would understand.

Ha, it really sounds like something that would happen in one of those old Hardy Boys novels, where one of the books contains information to help someone find the treasure, or something like that.

RCO

Reaction score
I haven't been back to that store to see if they ever resolved the situation and found out who stole the books or what became of it .

it is rather weird but it is a rather busy thrift store and considering all the random people who pass thru in an average day , someone might of just though they could get away with it .

I know our local library has had issues with theft as well , I'm pretty sure one of there bottle books was stolen a couple years ago , they had a copy of the Ontario soda water manufactures and brewers book up to a couple years ago when it suddenly disappeared , at which point I decided to buy my own which I think cost around $40

RCO

Reaction score
bit of an update , was at thrift store and nothing posted there as to what happened .

but was also at Library and it turns out they have both books as well in there local history section , I hadn't noticed the Dwight book before but it turns out they do have a copy

so who ever stole the books could of went to the public library and read them any day for free .it seems kind of bizarre that someone risk being banned from the store and given a criminal record to steal a pair of books they could of read at library

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi