Prohibition bottles - list?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODABOB

Reaction score
bop

Instead of looking for the Prohibition era soda bottles themselves, which is extremely time consuming and kind of confusing, I'm now looking to see if someone has already put together the type of list you are attempting to compile. I haven't found an actual list yet, but there are indicators as to how many breweries were able to remain in operation during Prohibition, some of which that have already been posted. As for the others, well, there were lots of them. But how many of them bottled soft drinks remains to be determined. Here's a sampling of how many brewers we're talking about ...

Approximate number of Brewers in America from the late 1800s to 1932 ...

Late 1800s = Close to 4,000

1918 = About 1,000

1920 = About 500

1932 = Fewer than 200

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
Here's one such list for Chicago, Illinois ...

The Chicago Tribune ~ September 14, 1923

SOFT DRINK BREWERS CHICAGO TRIBUNE SEPTEMBER 14, 1923.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
bop

Please let me know what city you live in or near and I'll see if I can find a list for it that's similar to the one I found for Chicago.

bottle-o-pop

Reaction score
bottle-o-pop

If you are only interested in fully embossed deco style bottles, you might want to emphasize that now or else I suspect this thread will be bombarded with paper label bottles such as the one I just posted. Please let us know your preference ...

1. Only Embossed Deco Bottles

2. Both - Embossed Deco and Paper Label Bottles

Hi Bob, #2 (both) is fine with me. I have always thought it was an interesting topic so I finally posted it, hoping people here could have fun with it :)

I have seen some evocative brand names on sodas: Elwino, Redwine, Weinpop, Cheerwine, Wineberre, 2 types of Blatz (patents 71289 and 85044), Hudepohl, and a nice Orange Crush bottled by Pabst. There are many others, I'm sure. Bludwine and perhaps some of the others pre-date prohibition, so it's confusing.

Canadacan

Reaction score
Hey CB that's funny about the Oh Boy!...because that's what I said when I first saw it!..Hahaha!.....It's from Frank-Nevin Co......as is the Ward's Crush in my profile pic, in fact it came from the same find as those bottles.

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
Follow Up ...

I got to wondering about the Nip Grape character's use of "Sh-h-h-" and am inclined to think it might be a subliminal reference to ...

Speak easy / Speakeasy

The word “speakeasy” came from a bartender’s term: people were supposed to “speak easy” when at a bar, meaning not to draw any suspicion towards buying alcoholic beverages by looking nervous or talking quickly. Slang words used for alcohol included, among others:

•coffin varnish
•white mule
•horse liniment
•monkey rum
•panther sweat
•rot gut
•tarantula juice

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics