Prohibition bottles - list?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODABOB

Reaction score
Speaking of Speakeasies and grape drinks ...

Even though grapes and grape drinks are not something you normally associate with Prohibition and alcohol consumption, I discovered the following about...

HOW WINE BRICKS SAVED THE U.S. WINE INDUSTRY DURING PROHIBITION

"If you were to purchase one of these bricks, on the package would be a note explaining how to dissolve the concentrate in a gallon of water. Then right below it, the note would continue with a warning instructing you not to leave that jug in the cool cupboard for 21 days, or it would turn into wine. That warning was in fact your key to Vino, and thanks to loopholes in Prohibition legislation, consuming 200 gallons of this homemade wine for your personal use was completely legal, it just couldn’t leave your home – something grape brick packages were also very careful to remind consumers."

http://vinepair.com/wine-blog/how-wine-bricks-saved-the-u-s-wine-industry-during-prohibition/

Note: I'm not suggesting that Nip Grape was made from grape bricks - I'm merely trying to point out that grapes and grape drinks did play a popular role during Prohibition and that the manufacturers of Nip Grape might have been trying to take advantage of that popularity by producing a grape drink whose subliminal slogan suggested that Nip Grape was "better" when mixed with alcohol / bathtub gin / moonshine / etc. Not to mention that the word "Nip" is highly suggestive as in 'Take a little nip' of whiskey.

Grape Brick.jpg

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
Saw this today, might fall into the category

7e446c736e27e221d00f95f577dd9ab3.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Pabst also used a deco-style bottle. With this particular example embossed with 'Milwaukee'

Pabst Deco Soda Bottle.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
bop

In post #26 you said ...

"I have seen some evocative brand names on sodas: Elwino, Redwine, Weinpop, Cheerwine, Wineberre, 2 types of Blatz (patents 71289 and 85044), Hudepohl, and a nice Orange Crush bottled by Pabst. There are many others, I'm sure. Bludwine and perhaps some of the others pre-date prohibition, so it's confusing."

Wineberre popped up in one of my searches but I'm not sure if its pronounced "Wine Beer" or "Wine Berry" or possibly one of those subliminal names that could mean both. Anyway, I found the following ...

Sign with the image of a deco-style bottle and "Trade Mark Reg. U.S. Pat Off."

Note: I couldn't find a Trademark listing but I did find several references as early as 1921

Wineberre Sign.jpg

This is the only image of a Wineberre bottle I have been able to find. The fluted design is similar/identical? to the bottle pictured on the sign. I'm not sure what the embossing says but it might be something like ...

"Why Not Wineberre"

Wineberre Bottle.jpg

Last edited:

bottle-o-pop

Reaction score
SODABOB - I have that bottle that looks like that. It does say: Why Not Wineberre on it.

It also (mysteriously) says on it:
Bottle Pat'd. NOV. 20, 1923. It's mysterious for two reasons; one is that there are 3 patents for that day that look somewhat similar to each other, and the other is that the Wineberre bottle doesn't look exactly like any of them, or even all that close.
63324 63325 63326

bottle-o-pop

Reaction score
... oh, and for what it's worth, the bottle has:
9 2
on it, so i guess that just possibly might indicate 1932 :rolleyes:

SODABOB

Reaction score
bop

When you say 9 2 1 do you mean ...

Owens Illinois 9 <(I)> 2 with a 1 below the symbol?

If so, that would be 1932 as you indicated. As you know, patent dates and production dates are often different. But because of the 1923 patent date, its possible that same bottle was produced for nine consecutive years.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac