An introduction- collection from NE US (PA, NJ, NY, MA)

Hello all,

Iíve had a collection in storage for the past twenty (!) years, and I found this website after trying to look up some of the bottles.

Iím not a collector, but my parents were. They amassed a good amount of Americana from ~1970-1997. In 1997 we moved from our old house outside of Philadelphia and had a large garage sale- the Americana that didnít sell was packed into totes, and remained there until I inherited them in 2012.

I cataloged the collection here (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing). Did my best to list details, writing, etc. Pictures all went up on Imgur so itíd be easier to share (word of warning- most of my galleries are image-heavy!). Most of the items are from the NE US- Philadelphia, New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts.

Iím going to be moving out of the country in about a year, and I need to pare down my things before that happens. Itís sad to see some of the history go, but it is what it is. I figured Iíd use the knowledge here to find out some of the stories behind these items, as well as maybe get some approximations on value. I suppose Iíll either end up listing these on eBay or getting them consigned.

Some look pretty old, some seem to be on the newer side. But Iím not an expert. I'll post the galleries piecemeal on the relevant forums, but if you see something in the spreadsheet that piques your interest feel free to send me a message. Looking forward to seeing what you all think, and thank you for any help you can provide!

Senior Member Bottle Master Spirit Bear's Avatar
    I was unable to see any images.

Go to e-Bay, click in the upper right what says Advanced Search, type your query in and click Completed Listings, then search. Prices in green, without a line through them, are what an item sold for in the last month. You can judge your value on that, if it is the same item in the same condition.

I'm sure no one cares still, as it was ignored before, but this is a short piece on evaluating values on auctions:
    For re-evaluating current value, not using perpetually incorrect book-value:
    The best way to find a general American value of such a collectible is, look at e-Bay's Sold Listings, which shows a realised price in green (and unsold in black if you've clicked Completed Listings to see what they're not selling for). Then add to the sold, green price the cost of shipping if it stayed in the same country (America, specifically the lower 48 states). If it went out of or is coming from outside of the continental U.S.A., the sold listing cannot be used for it has its own separate variables (everyone remember the Sheikh, who would buy bottles from several countries at very high prices?).
    Influencing variables to look for in the continental U.S. sold auction for determining value: Exact same item (shade of colour, applied v. tooled top, same size, etc.), in exact same condition (staining from being dug? Dirty? Cracked or chipped, a gouge, etc.), coming from a seller with at least 95% positive feedback with over 10 sales (a seller with too few sales, or not as good feedback, will not get as many people bidding as they do not trust his reputation or lack thereof).
    So, to re-evaluate current value using an everyday auction site (e-Bay), there is what we'd need to look at.
    But, e-Bay is not the same as a bottle auction-house. Auction-houses see higher realised prices, because people seem to believe they're getting better merchandise? Also, the values on e-Bay often deviate from those in fleas and antique-stores, albeit they often end up with unsold merchandise, or lose it to thieves/damage. But that is a whole different animal.
    Lengthy, and a bit off-topic, but I think it gives a good overview of finding a value through recent sold listings (I consider 'current value' to be monthly, rather than by year. You cannot trust the value of an item 5 years ago, as being the value today. Examples of things that continue to decline dramatically in value: Porcelain and furniture).
    Have I not commanded thee? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

Joshua chapter 1, verse 9.

Senior Member Bottle Master
    I sort of flipped thru the list and nothing really jumped out at me as being that old , although maybe if I saw pictures some of them might appear more interesting .

personally I think the best way to thin out a large amount of stuff that was in storage is often a yard sale , unless there is more valuable items . I might and try resell them yourself or sell them to antique stores maybe ?