Hygienic Dairy, Brantford

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

NJKLAGT

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I'm a regular over at T-net but this is my first post here. I'm hoping that there are some Canadian milk bottle aficionados among you. These are a quart and pint, Hygienic Dairy, Brantford, Ontario. Early Owens scar, probably 1913-1920.

Other than some history about the company I can't find much information about the bottles themselves. Where do you guys go for information? Is there some sort of 'book' where these might be listed? Are they scarce? I have never seen one around. I've seen later Hygienic Dairy bottles, but not any this old.

Thanks for your help!

NJ

Attachments

• milks.jpg
    milks.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 233

RCO

Reaction score
there is a book " the Ontario Dairy and Creamery list 1900 - 1950 " by Glen Phillips , it likely be listed in there , I don't have a copy but my local library does .

the book only gives dates , estimated time dairies were open based on historical records . there is no values or rarity of bottles listed .

I find milk bottle values to be a highly confusing topic , as some can be worth much more than others . but at the same time some older milk jugs aren't that rare and worth relatively little . it can sometimes depend on how many collectors there are looking for jugs from a certain town/city and how rare they are .

I have a couple pop bottles from Brantford and generally haven't found bottles from that city to be that highly sought after , as its a fairly large city when compared to smaller towns In that area and there seems to be a fair number of bottles around .

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Those are some nice ones! Hard to say how rare they are, probably at least somewhat uncommon. I've never seen one before but don't live too close to Brantford. Generally speaking embossed Ontario milks aren't too valuable, most collectors seem to want the ACL milks.

NJKLAGT

Reaction score
Thank you both for your input! Yeah, it stinks, there doesn't seem to be a lot of digital information available for this sort of thing. I've already checked my local library online and they don't have a copy. I'll just leave it a mystery for now, not gonna make an hour and a half drive to find this darn book! Thanks again!

RCO

Reaction score
I happened to be at library today and there is a listing for this milk jug , gives a date of around 1914- 1929 and doesn't seem to have survived into the 30's . but appears to have been a fairly well established dairy in Brantford and operated for some time . so I'd be doubtful the bottle is that rare , hope that helps

NJKLAGT

Reaction score
Thanks for checking it out! Although there are probably a few other variants (I've seen two others that are later bottles), I think that this might be the dairy's first glass bottle,and possibly the oldest Brantford milk bottle. Who knows though, there may even be a blown one, I'll have to talk to some collectors at the flea market there and see what they think.

RCO

Reaction score
well its clearly a very early milk , I'm pretty sure there was other listings in the book that were earlier . I didn't read thru them in detail but considering Brantford has been a large industrial city for some time . I'm pretty sure they would of had a dairy prior to 1914 but not an expert on bottles from that area , you'd need to find a local collector to find some of this info

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu