Frederick, MD Found a Phial

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

dogcatcher

Reaction score
phialsunthru.jpgI live a short distance from the Amelung site at the foot of Sugarloaf Mountain. I've been told that Amelung's son or nephew opened a window plant here on the property when the main factory was having trouble making ends meet. The story goes the family made beautiful glass back in Germany but they had people living on their land who worked in the plants. Here they had to pay workers enough to live on, not having indentured servants. We have collected a pretty great assortment of chunks of galss, shards of window glass, and rolled pieces (lips or handles). The house foundation is made of stones covered in melted glass. But this is the first bottle. The sources of my information are a grad student who dug here with money from the Smithsonian and a relative of a family who worked in the factory and another man who believes his relatives worked and were buried here. Does anyone know of anyone who might know for sure?

dogcatcher

Reaction score
glassfinds.jpgThis is some of the glass chunks and rolls we have found over the years.

saratogadriver

Reaction score
Awesome stuff and great historical connection. Not much exists that can easily be attributed to a single glass house that early. I don't know if you are on facebook or not but if so you might consider joining the early American glass collectors group. They'd love to see more of that stuff.

Jim G

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TLOWE94