any tips as i prepare to explore a small creek ?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
I've identified an interesting location , I had first read about this creek a couple years ago . I had searched a local bottle in google and a story from a museum came up that said one had been found in it and donated to them . however when I drove thru the area I could not find the creek for some reason

I wasn't able to find the exact location of the creek until this spring when I by chance happened to drive thru the area again and pulled over to turn around . that's when I realised the creek was hidden from view behind an abandoned gas/service station .

the creek in near a major road , outside of a large city in an agricultural area . there also appears to have been a gas / service station rate beside it .

I took some pictures , the water level actually dropped a lot from when I was there a week ago , at least a foot less of water in creek and hoping it drops some more before I start searching . I was able look around and did see some bottles in the creek , however all appeared to be modern beer bottles , is also a plastic milk crate you can see in one picture and some pop cans .

I'm not really sure how to go about exploring it ? should I dig ? poke around , I'm assuming anything truly old is going to be hidden a bit .

20170401_152806.jpg20170401_152809.jpg

sandchip

Reaction score
Looks pretty inviting. Start downstream from town and just walk upstream scanning the bottom (keeps disturbed sediments from clouding the water ahead of you). Helps to cut the bottom from a 5 gallon bucket and silicone a piece of Plexiglas in place for seeing the bottom in ripply or deeper areas. Digging is not really necessary unless you find a spot that seems to keep producing. Otherwise, you're in for a lot of backbreaking work for that needle in a haystack. Enjoy the walks. Every time heavy rains swell the creek, let it subside and clear up, and walk it again. The increased flow after rains shifts things around and you may find something that wasn't visible before. Sunny days are way better for looking. Clouds seem to produce a glare on the surface of the water, making it difficult to see the bottom. Found these the other day in a creek that I've been looking for 40 years. Not always this way, believe me. You just have to keep going back, although the newer stuff from litterbugs irritates the hell outta me. Good luck, man.

pickwick insitu.jpg pickwick.jpg jug insitu.jpg jug.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
forgot to mention the story I had seen online had mentioned they found the bottle after a heavy rainfall and it had been revealed .
although I cannot find it anymore , doesn't seem to be online

and I agree sunlight would make it much easier to see whats there

hemihampton

Reaction score
Cool finds Sandchip. I know a creek that seems to have lots of bottles & shards but I rarely get to look around it. LEON.

sandchip

Reaction score
You need to check it out. The creek changes every time you get a good spell of rains, shifting stuff around. Most of the stuff that comes out of creeks seems to be clean and rarely stained. The condition of some of the bottles amazes me to have been rolling around in sand for so many years. Nice relaxing change if you don't feel like digging that day.

RCO

Reaction score
checked the creek this weekend , had to be about a foot higher and looked like a small river . we had a late snowfall and some rain last week and that pushed water levels way higher . so have to wait a while longer before I can check it out

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi