Jennings Bluing, Labeled. Grand Rapids, Michigan

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
101_2051.jpg
Interesting charity-shop find:
Jenning's Condensed Pearl Bluing, from Grand Rapids, Michigan, circa late 1910s through 1920s (bottle made by Illinois Glass Co.).
101_2052.jpg
Jennings Flavoring Extract Co., one of the largest in Michigan, had an extensive product line and years of experience (1872 till at least the Depression). I'm not sure of when they went out of business.
Their extract bottle is quite common (same shape/embossing made for years), followed by this less-common but not scarce bottle. But, I couldn't find another with a surviving label, on the internet.
101_2053.jpg
It was interesting to find a labeled one in a charity shop of all places!

nhpharm

Reaction score
That is very neat! My dad collected bluing bottles and had quite the accumulation of them...don't recall ever seeing that one.

saratogadriver

Reaction score
Would never have guessed that shape for a bluing. I would have guessed it was a sauce bottle of some sort. Very different.

Jim G

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
NHPharm, interesting. They're not terribly rare, at least over here. But I'm also only 45 minutes from G.R.

Saratoga Driver, it does look like a sauce, doesn't it? Not sure I'd want it on my food!

CreekWalker

Reaction score
It says Jennings was a flavoring extract company on the label , so they repurposed their sauce bottles! Just hope Mom's didn't mix them up, back in the old days.
s-l1600.jpg

CreekWalker

Reaction score
Very nice embossing it is! I missed that detail, bear, thanks for pointing it out. No mistaking it for vanilla or hot sauce, being all blue and embossed.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown