Senior Member Bottle Master Spirit Bear's Avatar

Babson Surge Electric Fence Insulator

Been a while since I picked up an insulator, but I found this at a thrift store:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_2055 (1).jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	177835
    Babson Bros. Surge insulator with spelling error (Req. v. Reg.) from Chicago. 1940s-1955.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_2057.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	177836
    It was very grungy, but it cleaned up very nicely.

Common, but they seem to have a market. And I thought I was the only one who collected electric fence insulators.
    Have I not commanded thee? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

Joshua chapter 1, verse 9.

Senior Member Bottle Master
    Those are great! When I was a kid I discovered that the back property line on the land I lived on had those, but they had fallen off the trees they were nailed to and were buried. I had a cheap radio shack metal detector I used to find them (they were still on the pegs and those had nails in them). I accumulated probably 30-40 of them and sold all but one that I still have that has Chicago misspelled on it.

Yep, that's the other error variant: Chciago.
    Funny find.
    Have I not commanded thee? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

Senior Member Bottle Master CreekWalker's Avatar
    That would be a keeper!

Senior Member Bottle Master
    They are neat and the pins they fit on are worth more than the insulators. I have 1 only.
    Jim
    Collect: 1/4 & 1/2 Oz Pharm / Drugs - 1 Oz "Stand Up" Pharms - WAW-WAW anything - Santa Ana, CA & Coeur d' Alene, ID bottles. TRADES available

I read that the pins are more valuable. I have larger pins, but none for this.
    Well, I have larger pins and the arm to a 50-year-old telephone pole that I dragged to my car one day. LOL. Barely fit in there.