New Art Deco Orange Crush Test Issue Wow! Bold X

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CreekWalker

Reaction score
It was a good day for local soda bottles. I was digging a bottle filled creek side gully, and it was a very productive site. Most of the bottles were brands, and types I've found in the past, but a couple were pretty scarce items. But in this post , the one that stood out, was an art deco type: Orange Crush Bottling Company. In west Tn. the OC bottles found, most , by the dozen are the slick ,1960's ACL bottles with diamond "slug plate", followed by the same type, but with an embossed diamond logo, older still , is the "circle in a square" bottle ,with a very small logo above the base, then in the 1950's came the clear ribbed beehive, and before that, the dark brown ribbed beehive, both ACL and embossed. The oldest one, I've found is a straight side with a round or oval slug plate from the 1930's, mostly from Memphis. There are a few scarce small town versions of all the above. One of the last unbroken bottles today, is the one pictured in the center. It is undated, with Memphis Tenn. on the base , it has OCBCo. spaced by big bold X's, otherwise, it's dimpled areas are separated by, curved slashes. The trademark is the diamond in a circle, which many soda bottles display in this area. May be a test issue, and a very short lived one. Any thoughts on this, and your comments are welcome, IMG_6547.jpg thanks, Rick.

Last edited:

CreekWalker

Reaction score
IMG_6545.jpgI thought I had seen one online, so checked google, ebay, Worthpoint, pinterest and the web, nothing found, but could have been some other bottle brand with the big X's. What I do find odd, is it has no design patent.

Last edited:

CreekWalker

Reaction score
Back side , which has a big B and Co. between the X's. IMG_6546.jpg

Last edited:

RCO

Reaction score
its definitely unusual and a good find , don't know anything about it or have I seen one before . I like how it has the city name on the bottom

iggyworf

Reaction score
Nice stuff! I would love to get out and dig around a certain area next to one of my local rivers that I paddle, but finding time is the toughest thing right now. I have a Whistle bottle like the one you found.

CreekWalker

Reaction score
Thanks for the link, and info. I forgot to mention the full name is embossed around the heel, ORANGE CRUSH BOTTLING CO.

CreekWalker

Reaction score
Thanks Iggy, the Whistle had a cracked mold, and has a embossed lighting bolt type "whittle mark" down the center, where the glass tried to flow out while molten, probably the last bottle made for that broken mold. When it's clean , I'll post a picture.

CreekWalker

Reaction score
its definitely unusual and a good find , don't know anything about it or have I seen one before . I like how it has the city name on the bottom
Most of the OC bottles locally are marked out of state cities. I believe the other bottle made with the same design was a Nehi, or a Union Bottling Company flavor bottle, I'll check the web today. Thanks, RCO

CreekWalker

Reaction score
This is several of the OC bottles I found last year, one was a uncommon marked small town Orange Crush.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky