Civil War Hut finds (and a soda question!)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

gtoast99

Reaction score
Hey ya'll! First post here, so go easy on me haha. My good friend Keith and I recently had the opportunity to do some bottle digging in a Union Civil War officer's hut site here in Virginia. The thing was loaded with brick and stone, including a cool "82" date brick for 1782 from whatever structure they raided for brick to build the hearth. The rocks did a number on the glass underneath, with most of it being broken, but what didnt smash in 1863 was probably saved from the plow by those same stones on top of them.

Anyways, I'll try to be brief, I tend to be a bit longwinded. For whole bottles, we ended up with 6 total. Keith got a champagne and a "lop top" whiskey(?). I know yall would call that one broken but we dont, as it was most likely opened by the soldier that way, so that's good enough for us. I got two champagnes. And we each got one of these cool sodas that I have questions about. There was a ton of broken stuff, and we saved as much of it out as we could to try some reconstructions. Included in the broken were several dinner plates and a drinking glass, which are quite cool from a CW hut. There would have been a total of 5 of those pottsville sodas if they werent broken, but we were thrilled to find one whole for each of us.

The soda is a blue "C. T. Bowen & Co. Pottsville". Mold seam, no pontil. There's a bit of stubborn dirt in the bottom, but the sides cleaned up nice. There's a small crack in the lip, and a bit of scratching from the chimney rocks. The mark below the S on pottsville isn't a chip, but an open air bubble right at the surface. But I'm not complaining, its a pretty sweet bottle in any condition, and definitely my best one yet. Anything more i should do for those light scratches? If I were going to post this bottle by itself in another sub-forum to get more opinions, where would you suggest? I haven't really been able to find much info about it online. Does anyone know anything about this one? Any history on the manufacturer or contents? I'd be curious to get a rough idea on value in its current condition, too

Thanks for looking yall, I hope you enjoy the pics!

Attachments

• digging1.JPG
    digging1.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 165
  • digging2.JPG
    digging2.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 172
  • digging3.jpg
    digging3.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 160
  • digging4.jpg
    digging4.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 149
  • bricks.jpg
    bricks.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 172
  • bottles2.jpg
    bottles2.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 170
  • bottles3.jpg
    bottles3.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 170
  • bottles1.jpg
    bottles1.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 160
  • bowen1.jpg
    bowen1.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 164
  • bowen2.jpg
    bowen2.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 161
  • base1.jpg
    base1.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 171
  • lip crack.jpg
    lip crack.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 162
  • scratches.jpg
    scratches.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 168

Basil.W.Duke

Reaction score
also

the numbers on the bricks are probably not date rather brick order numbers. I restore old buildings in cincinnati and have a garden full of them.

gtoast99

Reaction score
Thank you! I don't think it's an iron pontil that would be on the outside correct? This is definitely on the inside. Thanks for the info on the bricks too :)

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado