Orange Crush with tooled top whittled neck.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hemihampton

Reaction score
My Bottle is by Purity Beverage & from Binghampton. When I first got the bottle years ago & did research I thought because of the older tooled top & whittled neck that maybe it predated Wards. I thought maybe mine was from 1906-1916. But maybe it's from 1920? LEON.

SODABOB

Reaction score
hemi

I could be wrong, but based on what I've seen so far, it appears to me there are no pre-1916 Orange Crush bottles. ???

sandchip

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I have a Columbia, SC 1915 hobbleskirt Coke with a tooled top and held a Macon, GA 1923 many years ago in the collection of a friend, long deceased. It too had a tooled top. I wonder what became of it. At any rate, blowing bottles by hand commercially sure didn't come to a screeching halt in 1903.

SODABOB

Reaction score
Regarding "Tooled Finish" soda bottles, I just completed some fairly extensive research into the subject and confident to say that tooled finish soda bottles were being produced as late as 1925. The general consensus seems to be that the larger the glass factory, such as Illinois Glass, the earlier the transition away from tooled finish bottles, with the smaller factories taking longer to make the transition. More often than not, the bottles themselves don't always tell the whole story. Which means that it sometimes requires an understanding of the start dates for various bottlers in order to more accurately date the bottles they produced, such as with the 1920 start date for the Purity Beverage Corporation in Binghamton, New York.

SODABOB

Reaction score
I'm curious ...

Exactly who was J. M. Thompson and why is he credited as having invented Orange Crush in 1906?

Perhaps someone knows the answer - I don't but will try and find out.

SODABOB

Reaction score
P.S.

In Search of ...

1. Information about J.M. Thompson and his connection with Orange Crush.

2. Confirmed examples of Orange Crush bottles, signs, and/or anything related to Orange Crush between 1906 and 1915. (If they exist) ?

SODABOB

Reaction score
Somebody might be interested in buying this ...

1. Green Orange Crush bottle
2. Straight-sided
3. Birmingham, Alabama
4. Owens-Illinois 3 <(I)> 6 (1936)
5. Embossed on neck with large 'O' and large 'C'
6. Currently on eBay "Buy It Now"
7. $9.99 + $8.99 = $18.98
8. In rough shape but ...

... you gotta wonder why they produced a straight-sided bottle as late as 1936 when the 'Krinkly' bottle had been out for at least 15 years. Could be rare?

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/vintage-ORAN...670764?hash=item1a29a295ec:g:TrgAAOSwuxFY0HsX

Orange Crush Bottle Binghamton N.Y. Owens Illinois 1936.jpg

Orange Crush Bottle Binghamton N.Y. Owens Illinois 1936 Base.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
P.S. / Edit ...

I took a quick look around and it appears the straight-sided Orange Crush bottles from Birmingham, Alabama might have been used for flavor sodas and not Orange Crush itself. If correct, then there should be "Krinkly" Orange Crush bottles from Birmingham as well, which I'm looking for but haven't found yet.

hemihampton

Reaction score
I'd like to see a Orange Crush bottle from 1906-16 or anything else myself. LEON.

SODABOB

Reaction score
Two things thus far ...

1. Other than in current histories, I cannot find confirmation that J.M. Thompson invented the Orange Crush formula in Chicago in 1906. Here's the typical wording from one of the accounts ...
[FONT=&quot]
“In 1916, Clayton J. Howell, president and founder of the Orange Crush Company, partnered with California chemist Neil C. Ward to incorporate the company. Ward, a beverage and extract chemist, perfected the process of blending ingredients to create the exclusive formula that yielded the zesty, all-natural orange flavor of Orange Crush. J.M. Thompson of Chicago is recognized as the original inventor of Orange Crush in 1906.”[/FONT]

2. The earliest documented references I can find for "Ward's Crush" and/or "Orange Crush" is 1916. Here's the absolute earliest advertisement I can find.

From ...

The Statesville Sentinel ~ Statesville, North Carolina ~ June 25, 1917

Orange Crush Statesville Sentinel N.C. June 25, 1917.jpg

Footnote: I plan to continue my search, but as it stands now it appears to me that anything related to Ward's Crush / Orange Crush does not exist prior to 1916, and that the 1906 J.M. Thompson invention claims are still a mystery.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu