Orange Crush with tooled top whittled neck.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODABOB

Reaction score
For Future Reference ...

The 'B' in 'W.G.B. Co.' might stand for 'Brewery'

(Date of this bottle unknown)

W.J. Rodwell & Sons ~ Tring Brewery

Rodwell W J Tring Brewery Ginger Beer.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
I thought this article was interesting. Its about their relocation in 1921. Notice where I underlined in red about their ability to do labeling. This tells us they applied paper labels to some of their bottles - possibly the straight-sided bottles with Orange Crush embossed on the shoulder.

From ...

The Binghamton Press ~ December 16, 1921

Orange Crush Binghamton Press December 16, 1921.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
Question of the day ...

Would the Purity Beverage Corporation / Orange Crush Bottling Company in Binghamton, New York allow ads like this one to be published month after month, year after year, if they did not use the patented "Crinkly" bottles?

Possible answer ...

Yes, they did use the patented "Crinkly" bottle, thousands of them, except they were generic and did not have the bottler's name or location embossed on them.

The Binghamton Press ~ Binghamton, New York ~ June 30, 1922

Orange Crush Binghamton Press June 30, 1922 (2).jpg

Orange Crush Binghamton Press June 30, 1922.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
In search of ...

Any 1920 patent "Crinkly" Orange Crush bottle with a bottler name and location embossed on it that can positively be dated to 1920-1921 without using the patent date itself. In other words, a bottle with a makers mark and date code other than the July 20, 1920 patent date. I read somewhere that new franchisees typically started out with limited contracts of about three years until they established themselves, after which they were granted longer contracts if they proved themselves successful. I'm thinking this might have been the case with Binghamton and possibly explains why there seems to be no patented "Crinkly" bottles prior to about 1928. Anyway, I'm going to look around and see if I can find a "Crinkly" bottle with a name and date that's definitely from 1920-1921. If anyone who reads this has one, please share it with us. Thanks.

SODABOB

Reaction score
This one doesn't count either despite what the seller says in his description. We all know that the "Crushy" character didn't make his debut until around 1928. So I'm not sure what the seller means when he says ...

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-orange-crush-clear-krinkly-mr-432006600

"[FONT=&quot]For sale is a Rare Vintage Orange Crush Clear Krinkly Mr. Crushy Facing Left Glass Soda Bottle. The bottle is a 6 Oz. made at the Laurens Glass Works dated 1921."[/FONT]

SODABOB

Reaction score
Update ...

I looked at about 200 of the patent 1920 "Crinkly" bottles today and only found one that had a makers mark and bottler's name on it that was earlier than 1930. Unfortunately, the majority of the examples I saw didn't include a good description, especially regarding dates. The one I found was from Lufkin, Texas and marked with 1960E G25 which is for the Graham Glass Company from 1925. But nothing yet that's confirmed earlier than 1925.

I also found this letter.

Notice ...

1. Its dated February 17, 1923
2. Its from the Chicago parent company
3. The bottler is already a franchisee
4. But needs a special license to sell the "Krinkly" bottles*

*This seems to tie-in with what I was saying earlier about franchise requirements. It might also be a clue regarding the who-what-where-when of the patent 1920 bottles.

Orange Crush Letter February 17, 1923.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
P.S.

In case you're wondering where I'm going with this, its to try and determine ...

1. If any of the first-issue* patent 1920 Crinkly bottles were marked with a bottler's name and location?

2. If any of the first-issue* patent 1920 Crinkly bottles have a makers mark and date code? And if so, who those makers were and when?

* First-issue = Bottles made and distributed in 1920 and 1921

Footnote: I'd even settle for a 1922 if one can be found. ???

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora