Orange Crush with tooled top whittled neck.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODABOB

Reaction score
All things considered ...

1. It appears when the first Orange Crush bottling plant opened in Binghamton, New York in April of 1920 that the clear "Crinkly" bottle was not in distribution yet. Hence, the reason they used a straight-sided paper label bottle.

2. It appears the Orange Crush bottling plant in Binghamton, New York started using the clear "Crinkly" bottle in 1921.

Which begs the question (again) ...

What did they do with all of the 1920 straight-sided paper label bottles after they started using the clear "Crinkly" bottles?

A. Continue using them? If so, for what?

B. Dispose of them?

C. Other?

SODABOB

Reaction score
Check this out from 2013. I participated but forgot. Especially notice the very last post where it says ...

https://www.antique-bottles.net/showthread.php?646425-Olive-green-Orange-Crush-Binghamton-Ny

digginthedog

"We live 45 min. from Binghamton NY. and have dug several through the years, the olive are not rare, but can be tough to find. If I had to guess, I would say that these bottles were made at the Binghamton Glass Co. (formerly Glass Works ) they made bottles into the 20's and never used Automatic Bottle Machines, hence the later tooled lips, I also have similar olive colored, tooled lip COKE flavor bottles from Binghamton, good chance made from the same glass. When you think of the number of tooled lip crown pops that are NOT aqua or clear, even if they are flavor bottles, still good finds in My o-pin. JB"

SODABOB

Reaction score
I followed up on what digginthedog said about the Binghamton Glass Company and found this from ...

The Binghamton Press ~ August 14, 1945

(I cropped it to be easily readable)

Binghamton Glass Co Press Aug 14, 1945 (3).jpg

Binghamton Glass Co Press Aug 14, 1945 (4).jpg

Binghamton Glass Co Press Aug 14, 1945 (5).jpg

Binghamton Glass Co Press Aug 14, 1945.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
CreekWalker and/or Leon

Do any of your Binghamton Orange Crush bottles have the Binghamton Glass Company mark on them?

Which should be ...

B.G.CO. or BGCO

hemihampton

Reaction score
Looks like I participated in that older post also. I wonder if the bright green crinkly bottle contained lime crush? LEON.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Bob, Just looked at mine & I cannot see any bottle makers mark anywhere? LEON.

SODABOB

Reaction score
Bob, Just looked at mine & I cannot see any bottle makers mark anywhere? LEON.

Bummer ...

Maybe the following will give us something new to chew on. Remember earlier when I asked ...

What did they do with all of the 1920 straight-sided paper label bottles after they started using the clear "Crinkly" bottles?

A. Continue using them? If so, for what?

Well, I'm going to take a shot at answering that question by pointing out the numerous brands mentioned in this 1922 ad that I posted earlier (Post #27). Remember, this was in 1922 and the brands mentioned either had fully embossed bottles or paper label bottles. There were no ACLs and wouldn't be until around 1935. Anyway, I'm guessing the straight-sided Orange Crush bottles in question were reused for some/all of the brands mentioned below. I bet a bunch of those brands had paper labels. If so, then why not slap one of those paper labels onto one of their straight-sided Orange Crush bottles?

Note: I'm going to see if I can find paper labels and/or embossed bottles for the brands mentioned in the ad ...

Orange Crush Binghamton NY The Binghamton Press Feb 25, 1922.jpg

Canadacan

Reaction score
With Crushy on it that would be from about 1929 at the earliest...I believe.

SODABOB

Reaction score
The "Crushy" character was first introduced in 1928 - but I'm confident there are Binghamton Orange Crush "Crinkly" bottles as early as 1921 as supported by dozens of ads similar to this one from ...

The Binghamton Press ~ June 6, 1921

Note: It seems highly unlikely to me that the Orange Crush Bottling Company / Purity Beverage Company in Binghamton would publish ads like this in 1921 if they did not use the "Crinkly" bottles at the time. After all, it does say ...

"This patented bottle is your guard against substitutes"

Orange Crush Binghamton NY June 6, 1921.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky