Orange Crush with tooled top whittled neck.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hemihampton

Reaction score
Anybody know how old this Orange Crush bottle is? Has a tooled top with seam line that disappears in the neck before it reaches the top. Has massive twisting whittled glass look in the neck. Any body know value or rarity? THANKS, LEON. OC.jpgOCneck.jpg

CreekWalker

Reaction score
Hi Leon, this one sold for $145 recently, it is from Binghamton , NY , it is reported as Citron in color. A similar one in blue aqua, $40. Here's the citron one.
s-l1600.jpg

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Oh wow I had no idea that something like that existed! I wouldn't have thought Orange Crush went back far enough to have a tooled lip bottle, it must have been a very late one.

Canadacan

Reaction score
The tooled finish was still being used in the early 1920's

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
In Canada definitely, I was under the impression that it had been phased out earlier in the US though.

SODABOB

Reaction score
The first part of the following pertains specifically to CreekWalker's "Binghamton, New York" Orange Crush bottle, establishing an earliest likely date of January 13, 1920

From ...

The Binghamton Press ~ Binghamton, New York ~ January 13, 1920

Orange Crush Binghampton New York Jan 13, 1920 (2).jpg

Orange Crush Binghampton New York Jan 13, 1920.jpg

This next ad is the earliest one I can find from Binghamton that shows an image of a bottle.

Note: I cannot find an actual paper label that has "Contains No Orange Juice" on it, and not sure if they even exist. Nor am I sure if this is the type of label that was actually applied to the Binghamton bottles, although it might have been.

From ...

The Binghamton Press ~ Binghamton, New York ~ April 30, 1920

Orange Crush Binghampton New York April 30,  1920 (2).jpg

Orange Crush Binghampton New York April 30,  1920.jpg

(More to follow)

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
(Continued)

I'm a little confused about the numerous historical references that claim Orange Crush was first produced in 1906. Based on what I have been able to find, it appears to me that Orange Crush was first produced in 1915 or 1916.

The earliest Trademark document I can find says ...

Filed: August 10, 1916
Since: July 1, 1916

Orange Crush Trademark 1916.jpg

Notice in this 1920 newspaper article where it says ...

"Five years ago"

( Which would equate to 1915 )

From ...

The Manning Times ~ Manning, South Carolina ~ June 9, 1920

Orange Crush The Manning Times N.C. June 9, 1920 Five Years Ago equals 1915 (2).jpg

Orange Crush The Manning Times N.C. June 9, 1920 Five Years Ago equals 1915.jpg

Question:

Does the 1906 date mean when they were experimenting / test marketing the Orange Crush formula? Or does the 1906 date mean when they actually started producing it commercially?

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
A REFRESHING START ...

Clayton J. Howell partnered with Neil C. Ward to create the Orange Crush Company in 1916, but traces of the company date back to ten years earlier.

WHAT'S IN A NAME? ...

Ward perfected the exclusive zesty formula, but Howell included "Crush" in the name to refer to the process of extracting oils from oranges.

?

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
Here’s what Cadbury-Schweppes—the British Company that now owns Orange Crush and just about every non-cola brand you can think of—says on its website:

“In 1916, Clayton J. Howell, president and founder of the Orange Crush Company, partnered with California chemist Neil C. Ward to incorporate the company. Ward, a beverage and extract chemist, perfected the process of blending ingredients to create the exclusive formula that yielded the zesty, all-natural orange flavor of Orange Crush.

J.M. Thompson of Chicago is recognized as the original inventor of Orange Crush in 1906.

C. J. Howell was not new to the soft drink business, having earlier introduced Howell’s Orange Julep. Soft drinks of the time often carried the surname of the inventor along with the product name. Howell sold the rights to use his name in conjunction with his first brand; his partner, Ward, was given the honors and Crush was first premiered as ‘Ward’s Orange Crush.’ ”

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi