C. T. Bowen & Co. Pottsville / Blue squat soda

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

gtoast99

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I posted the story of finding this soda in a civil war hut over in the digging forum. But I wanted to post here too in the hopes of getting some more eyes on it, and hopefully some info or opinions.

I'm curious if anyone knows anything about this bottle or the manufacturer. I havent found much online at all about it, just one brief entry on the "sodas and beers" website and one in a post here in the prized possessions forum of several blue Pennsylvania bottles.

Any information you can provide on this history of this bottle would be much appreciated! And I'm also curious about some general idea on value in current condition.

Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• bowen1.jpg
    bowen1.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 119
  • bowen2.jpg
    bowen2.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 125
  • base1.jpg
    base1.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 123
  • lip crack.jpg
    lip crack.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 120
  • scratches.jpg
    scratches.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 120

nhpharm

Reaction score
Charles T. Bowen was born in 1828 and is listed as an ice dealer in the 1870 and 1880 census as well as various city directories starting in the late 1860's...I am sure this was what he did before this as well. Later he was president of the Pottsville Mutual Fire Insurance Company. He died in 1916 and is buried in the Charles Baber cemetery in Pottsville. Seems that many ice dealers went into soda making for a time and appears he did so as well. The bottles appear to be quite uncommon.

gtoast99

Reaction score
Charles T. Bowen was born in 1828 and is listed as an ice dealer in the 1870 and 1880 census as well as various city directories starting in the late 1860's...I am sure this was what he did before this as well. Later he was president of the Pottsville Mutual Fire Insurance Company. He died in 1916 and is buried in the Charles Baber cemetery in Pottsville. Seems that many ice dealers went into soda making for a time and appears he did so as well. The bottles appear to be quite uncommon.
Thanks! It's nice to be able to put a bit of personal history to the name on the side of the bottle. Some time in 1863 he shipped a case down to brandy station Virginia, where they ended up in a trash pit for some of the officers of the NY excelsior brigade.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu