Looking for "Dodger" beverage information

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Brave Soul

Reaction score
I hope this forum is an acceptable one for this post.

I am looking for information about the beginnings of Dodger soda, or the Dodger Beverage Co. Most of the information I find most easily when googling indicates that it got its start in the 1960s, perhaps in Dubuque, Iowa, and did not last long. However, after digging a little further, I found an online page from an old auction where a Dodger Beverage metal sign was listed, and the description stated that the Dodger Beverage brand had its history in 1950s Brooklyn, and claimed that the major league Dodgers team was its namesake. I'm particularly interested in whether this particular claim is true.

As stated above, information that places the beginnings of Dodger Beverage Co in the 1960s is easy to find. But here is the link I found that suggests the connection to the baseball Dodgers:

http://aug15.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-bin/showitem.pl?itemid=87957

So if any of you bottle experts know the genesis or history of the Dodger Beverage Co., especially if it has a connection to the baseball Dodgers from Brooklyn, I would appreciated any information. Thanks so much!

- Brave Soul

nhpharm

Reaction score
I think that auctioneer thought that story would get him more money for the sign but it is total BS. I've always been told that it started in Iowa and specifically was referring to Fort Dodge, Iowa (not sure that they actually bottles there or maybe started in Des Moines). There were for a time multiple branches in Iowa and other central US states...and I think the brand possibly goes back to the late 1940's but could be wrong there.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
At the bottom of this in the notes, it has Dodger's 1951 address (thus, info likely taken in 1950 for 1951) in a directory for Dubuque, IA.
At the same time, hit and hold the button titled "Ctrl" then (as you're stilling holding "Ctrl") hit "f" and type "Dodger" into the search bar that pops up in this page, and you'll see it say the name was registered in 1951, but was used (by others?) before then; the page also says Napoleon, Ohio. Multiple branches?
So far, it seems to be circa 1951 and from Iowa; maybe also Iowa? I'd trust the library resource more, albeit the other site seems decent, too.
What is your interest in Dodger, other than the baseball reference?

nhpharm

Reaction score
The earliest registration of the name I can find is July 19, 1948 in St. Joseph, Missouri but I think this is part of a wider filing of the name in several states. Nonetheless, as Spirit Bear notes, all indications are that it originated in Iowa and has nothing to do with the Dodgers of baseball fame. I was told by an old-time soda collector years ago that the name is in reference to Ft. Dodge, Iowa.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu