B&O Whital Tatum seal oval

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

midway49

Reaction score
Anyone familiar with this bottle? Looks like an O and a B within seal. Base embossed "Pat Jan 24 88/ W T & Co" About 6 5/8" tall.

Attachments

• P1010002-001.JPG
    P1010002-001.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 201

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
That is so cool! Is it an actual hand-applied seal? I've never seen anything like that before, I assume it's a drug store bottle but I could be wrong.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Probably just molded in. Typical bottle shape for an 1880s-1910 perfume or cologne. With the ampersand (&) in the maker's name, it dates prior to their 1901 name-change (they removed the ampersand from their company name).

nhpharm

Reaction score
This was one of Whitall Tatum's standard designs for pharmacy bottles. The "seal" had different slug plates that could be inserted. What part of the country was this found in? That might give a starting point...

botlguy

Reaction score
I have a somewhat similar bottle on my 1 ounce Drug Store / Pharmacy collection that reads:" WALLACE THE DRUGGIST" so I suspect yours is a druggist. The "seal" is molded.
Jim S.

nhpharm

Reaction score
Jim,

Not sure if you knew this, but the "Wallace The Druggist" bottle is from Nashua, New Hampshire. Austin E. Wallace used these bottles...when I was a kid I dug a few and couldn't figure out where they were from but in later years I saw one with a label and it all made sense since I was digging pretty close to Nashua.

midway49

Reaction score
Thanks for the input! I read Whitall Tatum called these "seal ovals". It was dug in Ky, but I've not seen one before. Someone suggested Botanical Druggist, Boston, but I can't find any examples like this.

botlguy

Reaction score
Jim,

Not sure if you knew this, but the "Wallace The Druggist" bottle is from Nashua, New Hampshire. Austin E. Wallace used these bottles...when I was a kid I dug a few and couldn't figure out where they were from but in later years I saw one with a label and it all made sense since I was digging pretty close to Nashua.
I was able to determine the state online (that's essential to my collection) but the additional information is very welcome. Thanks.

whittled

Reaction score
WT had a semi code system to narrow down date which included "stars" for example, the patent date means very little. W.T. & CO leaves that pretty much prior to 1891 unless the mold got reused for a time after .Also, where in Kentucky, right on a boarder?
I wonder if it's not B&O railroad?

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi