Senior Member Bottle Finder

B&O Whital Tatum seal oval

Anyone familiar with this bottle? Looks like an O and a B within seal. Base embossed "Pat Jan 24 88/ W T & Co" About 6 5/8" tall.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010002-001.JPG  

Senior Member Bottle Master
    That is so cool! Is it an actual hand-applied seal? I've never seen anything like that before, I assume it's a drug store bottle but I could be wrong.

Senior Member Bottle Master Robby Raccoon's Avatar
    Probably just molded in. Typical bottle shape for an 1880s-1910 perfume or cologne. With the ampersand (&) in the maker's name, it dates prior to their 1901 name-change (they removed the ampersand from their company name).

This was one of Whitall Tatum's standard designs for pharmacy bottles. The "seal" had different slug plates that could be inserted. What part of the country was this found in? That might give a starting point...

I have a somewhat similar bottle on my 1 ounce Drug Store / Pharmacy collection that reads:" WALLACE THE DRUGGIST" so I suspect yours is a druggist. The "seal" is molded.
    Jim S.
    Collect: 1/4 & 1/2 Oz Pharm / Drugs - 1 Oz "Stand Up" Pharms - WAW-WAW anything - Santa Ana, CA & Coeur d' Alene, ID bottles. TRADES available

Jim,

Not sure if you knew this, but the "Wallace The Druggist" bottle is from Nashua, New Hampshire. Austin E. Wallace used these bottles...when I was a kid I dug a few and couldn't figure out where they were from but in later years I saw one with a label and it all made sense since I was digging pretty close to Nashua.

Thanks for the input! I read Whitall Tatum called these "seal ovals". It was dug in Ky, but I've not seen one before. Someone suggested Botanical Druggist, Boston, but I can't find any examples like this.

Quote Originally Posted by nhpharm View Post
    Jim,

Not sure if you knew this, but the "Wallace The Druggist" bottle is from Nashua, New Hampshire. Austin E. Wallace used these bottles...when I was a kid I dug a few and couldn't figure out where they were from but in later years I saw one with a label and it all made sense since I was digging pretty close to Nashua.
    I was able to determine the state online (that's essential to my collection) but the additional information is very welcome. Thanks.
    Collect: 1/4 & 1/2 Oz Pharm / Drugs - 1 Oz "Stand Up" Pharms - WAW-WAW anything - Santa Ana, CA & Coeur d' Alene, ID bottles. TRADES available

WT had a semi code system to narrow down date which included "stars" for example, the patent date means very little. W.T. & CO leaves that pretty much prior to 1891 unless the mold got reused for a time after .Also, where in Kentucky, right on a boarder?
    I wonder if it's not B&O railroad?