just me or does it seems rather quiet so far this year ?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
flipping thru the site and maybe its just me but it seems rather quiet compared to other years , especially the digging and finding section . barely been any new stories posted since April . which seems odd as it seem like the prime time of year for people to be digging stuff up .

myself I haven't found any new dumps or sites of interest yet , been back to some older dumps and locations I found in past years but didn't find much new . perhaps need to flip thru some local history books in more detail to identify some new locations , I'm really not sure where else to look here . I've been to so many sites the last few years .

RCO

Reaction score
also mention I posted a story about a creek I was going to explore , but haven't been able to yet . seems to be worst spring in terms of water levels here in a few years . still at levels normally seen in late march or early april . and another rain storm is coming this weekend so it could be a while before I'm able to search it

I've also explored a lot of roadway embankments this spring but really haven't been finding anything good , not even stuff from the 70's or 80's . just really modern stuff and a lot of beer cans . made a small fortune in returnable deposits if nothing else

there was also suppose to be a big community yard sale this weekend , in a small town nearby . made a few neat finds there in past but its suppose to rain heavily this Saturday so not sure how many will set up or if I will even make the drive . but if weather improves there will be many more yard sales here in may and could find something at them

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I'm more of a passive collector now-a-days but I did break down and get the Poison Bottle Workbook Vol. 1 & 2 by Kuhn, the new Bitters Bottles by Ring & Ham., American Breweries II by Wieren and about ½ dozen others books over the winter.
I also got back on two wheels after a 25 year absence. ;).

botlguy

Reaction score
It seems to me that we've lost a lot of seasoned collectors to other venues and the remaining veterans are just quiet much of the time. We've had a lot of 1 post wonders and they are not diggers / finders or really that interested. We are, of course, happy to answer their questions. It's the sign of the times I guess.
Jim S.

sandchip

Reaction score
also mention I posted a story about a creek I was going to explore , but haven't been able to yet . seems to be worst spring in terms of water levels here in a few years . still at levels normally seen in late march or early april . and another rain storm is coming this weekend so it could be a while before I'm able to search it

BUT, the good thing is that it's getting flushed out and shifted around, so there's no telling what you'll find when it settles down and clears up. We've had a pretty dry spring, so our creeks are already slowing down with the black scum starting to coat everything as temps rise. Sigh...

RCO

Reaction score
BUT, the good thing is that it's getting flushed out and shifted around, so there's no telling what you'll find when it settles down and clears up. We've had a pretty dry spring, so our creeks are already slowing down with the black scum starting to coat everything as temps rise. Sigh...

I'm definitely wondering what i'll find when it settles , the old story I had seen online seemed to indicate they had found the bottle after a heavy rainfall .

but considering the amount of rain we've had its going to be a while before the levels drop , our rivers here are at spring flood levels , much higher than normal for may

RCO

Reaction score
It seems to me that we've lost a lot of seasoned collectors to other venues and the remaining veterans are just quiet much of the time. We've had a lot of 1 post wonders and they are not diggers / finders or really that interested. We are, of course, happy to answer their questions. It's the sign of the times I guess.
Jim S.

I do wonder , are people not digging as much or are people just not sharing or posting what they found . either way stories about new digs seem to be way down and agree 1 time wonders are way up . they likely found the site thru google searches and likely not many other bottle related sites to ask questions on

hemihampton

Reaction score
I try to do my part by posting my Privy digs. Which reminds me I got some pics & story to post from Today's find. I don't really see anybody else posting any privy finds. Are me & Tom the only ones digging Privy's? What happened to Cannibal from Hannibal or that guy from Hannibal Missouri that used to post privy finds? wheres the diving for bottles finds? I think alot people left to go post on that thing called Facebook. I don't have Facebook? LEON.

saratogadriver

Reaction score
We lost a lot of old regulars to specific sites over on facebook. There's an antique bottle collectors forum over there, and an early American glass group run by Jeff Nordsy. There must be a medicine forum somewhere that Matt, who has the website cataloguing ALL known medicines must be there. it's a real shame the folks who have come and gone from here. We had a retired glass maker on here who I suspect has passed on. His knowledge of molds and glass making was simply amazing.

There are still some very knowledgeable folks here, but it is also definitely a quieter place than it once was.

But polite anyway... Better than many other forums that seem to erupt in flame wars about twice a day...

Jim G

RCO

Reaction score
I try to do my part by posting my Privy digs. Which reminds me I got some pics & story to post from Today's find. I don't really see anybody else posting any privy finds. Are me & Tom the only ones digging Privy's? What happened to Cannibal from Hannibal or that guy from Hannibal Missouri that used to post privy finds? wheres the diving for bottles finds? I think alot people left to go post on that thing called Facebook. I don't have Facebook? LEON.

I don't have a facebook account anymore either , I had ones years ago but never liked the site much and found around here it had simply turned into a gossip generating site . where people went to check out what people were doing just to be noisy .

have no idea what sort of bottle groups are available on facebook . the only other bottle site I know of is for Quebec bottles , is a French bottle site . but I don't speak French and only occasionally find a bottle from quebec , don't really know how many members it has .

think it might be too cold for diving ? its only May , I don't even go swimming here till June . although if you had dive gear , could go in earlier I guess . and places in the US that be a lot warmer than where I'm from

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora