just me or does it seems rather quiet so far this year ?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

saratogadriver

Reaction score
I agree with the other Jim, no wait, I'M the other Jim, that FaceBook is far less interesting than this forum. Perhaps a bit more sophisticated in the QUALITY of bottles but I prefer my buddies here.
Jim S (the OTHER Jim)

You are far and away the more frequent poster. I'd definitely say I'm the "other Jim". I collect inks and the family has a pretty extensive collection of same between me and my father. Mom collects VT bottles of all shapes and forms.

We have retained some great people on here, while we've also lost some, which necessitated my trip into the FB groups. I like to have access to people like Jeff Noordsy, who are SO knowledgeable on higher end glass.

Jim G

Reaction score
Interesting..... This is the former cannibal from hannibal, now cannibal from Louisiana, (Missouri that is.) I lost somehow the ability to sign in to my account and even after reinventing myself had log-in issues, so I just moved on. I logged in a few times to view posts, but it seemed to get silly with serious and lengthy debates on whether or not to wipe dirt from fresh finds while in the field! Others were about digging dumps not as old as I am! Made me feel bad, if not old! Ha! Well, I turn 70 next year and still slingin' dirt as I like to say cuz I never know when I can't. Jim from Idaho, you still alive? Tried emailing to no avail. I know a good number of us ain't gonna be around a hell of a lot longer as the average age for this hobby is about 80! That said, this past October I dug a unique privy 10 feet long, 6 feet wide and 10 deep, shaped like a football! I dug 300 undamaged bottles, most embossed from early 1870's to mid 90's to a 1855 home. Part of the tally were 25 Doyle's Hops Bitters, ( and I never had dug one whole one before) 7 embossed pumpkin seeds, 35 un-embossed 3 piece mold whiskies, 4 Safe cures, 3 Sanford's Radical Cures, and one Keeley's Gold Cure for Drunkenness 3/4 full! I will return with some pictures. Took me all of 6 days to dig solo, and the homeowners wanted none of it! Interesting part is it looks like it was never dipped as there was no scraps at all from before the 70's, so I know there is an older hole there as there is a clear 20 years missing. The original property was sold where the barn and likely older privy sits waiting and plan to try for permission from the current owners later this summer. If it is half as full as the newer privy, look out! This was a very well to do family in the day. During this co-vid crap, I've been digging in a large local dump and found some cool local stuff and searching for a rare stenciled jug. Found an unlisted one broken of course, but still have about half the dump left to go. Dates from 1890-1925ish. Lost of fun and never know what is gonna pop out of the ground next. Lastly, I have submitted 4 stories to the FOHBC which can be found in their issues. I just wish I could post videos. I took over 30 short (under 5 minutes) videos, jumping to the chase as the bottles came out in hoards from the football shaped privy. I included the only shot of me in the hole with one of the embossed pumpkinseeds, Hart's Herbal Rock, Rye & Barley.

Attachments

• original_file_home.jpg
    original_file_home.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 124

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
I try to do my part by posting my Privy digs. Which reminds me I got some pics & story to post from Today's find. I don't really see anybody else posting any privy finds. Are me & Tom the only ones digging Privy's? What happened to Cannibal from Hannibal or that guy from Hannibal Missouri that used to post privy finds? wheres the diving for bottles finds? I think alot people left to go post on that thing called Facebook. I don't have Facebook? LEON.
I never have been or want to be on facebook. Remember myspace? Never on that either. I hope everyone that is not posting is in good health. The virus just took one of my good buddys. He was only 38. Never seemed sick anytime i saw him. A total shock to me and everyone who knew him, very sad. People may not want their privies dug. 6 feet is not enough when there is a chance they might die. They don't want anyone on their property. On a happier note i got a ton of bottles i resently got. I just need to clean them up before i post them. ROBBYBOBBY64.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Hey everybody,
I stopped collecting for a while to go back to college and change my career, and now I'm back into the bottles... NJ shore town beers & sodas to be specific.
I was very active here from 2009 to 2013ish.. for me those were the good ole days before facebook and other crappy social media took over the internet. But even then there was a camp who thought the best days of ABN had come and gone already, so that's a personal POV we all have relative to our own experiences.
I didn't like the format change here at first, but now I can tell it's not much different really.
Worst of all is when they made me a moderator, that was hell. Suddenly people were accusing me of being power hungry and assorted BS I've tried to forget.
I don't think I'll be the chatterbox I used to be, but I'll be around...
ChARLIE

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado