possible vintage Green River advertising poster ?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
I saw this item listed in a local estate auction , I'm thinking its for Green River .

but left with many questions ?

what year is it from ?

is it missing the top part of the advertisement ?

is it even worth anything ?

anyone seen something like this before ? it appears to have been put in that frame some time ago

greenriver.jpggreenriver1.jpg

nhpharm

Reaction score
Definitely Green River and sadly cropped down significantly at the top. Looks pretty early to me...Id guess mid 1920's. Neat piece and to someone who collects that stuff probably still worth something.

carling

Reaction score
I wouldn't bid on it unless you can first check it out. Might just be a page out of an old magazine placed in an old frame.

RCO

Reaction score
Good point,what size is it?

according to the ad the picture frame is 13 inches wide and 16 inches tall , another possibility is its an old cardboard cut out ? or at least part of it

RCO

Reaction score
I wouldn't bid on it unless you can first check it out. Might just be a page out of an old magazine placed in an old frame.

this auction doesn't allow you to check out an item in person , its run really weird , you can only look at pictures

Canadacan

Reaction score
Green River was also bottled. I personally doubt it was a magazine ad..., seeing it says 'Drink it Here' indicates fountain service to me, value wont be too much unless it had the top.

They began operating in Winnipeg in 1922.

Green River- Manitoba Free Press, 20 Jan 1923, Sat
Green River-  Manitoba Free Press, 20 Jan 1923, Sat.jpg

Here is a photo from Vancouver Pacific National Exhibition in about 1930 with syrup dispensers.
Circa 1930 Thorpe & Co. -Vancouver Pacific National Exibition..jpg

Circa 1930 Thorpe & Co. -Vancouver Pacific National Exibition. - Copy (3).jpg

RCO

Reaction score
I agree the drink it here , part of the ad does seem to indicate fountain service or it was used in a store and they had bottles for sale .

its too bad its missing the top part , otherwise they'd have a full advertisement

current bid on it , is only at $5

Canadacan

Reaction score
5 plus the buyers premium and then shipping?...well it might be worth it, still cool to see even that much of one.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
It looks like there are some drill bits to the lower left of the poster, so that suggests it's anywhere from pretty big to really big, depending on what sort of drill they went to, but definitely not from a magazine. My guess is that it's about two feet tall but I could be wrong. There's also a possibility that it wasn't cut and was just folded over, which would be a very nice surprise, but from the look of the tattered upper left corner I'm thinking it's more likely that a corner was torn off and then it was either trimmed or folded over, and so is badly damaged regardless.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown