found a small 50's era dump today

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
was exploring a small trail near our towns old dump , its not that far from where I live , the newer dump closed in the mid 90's .

I was seeing a lot of modern trash near the road where I had parked , but I was looking around and felt it was a good place for a dump . and kept walking down the trail , until I was maybe 40 feet or so from the road and I looked in the bush and saw some old rusty cans and metal . and was pretty sure I had found a dump and sure enough is some old ketchup bottles and more oil cans and is for sure a small dumping area there .

I'm really not sure if it has any potential or not , I didn't find anything worth keeping when I was there but didn't stay more than a few minutes . found a broken pepsi bottle and date was from 1953 so the dump has definitely been there for a while . i'll go back soon before the bugs get really crazy here and see if there is anything interesting in it

took a few pictures but they aren't really clear enough to see much

20170516_102150.jpg20170516_102210.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
have some free time today and weather nice out , going to go back and check it out . not really sure if i'll find anything , I'm obviously looking for any local bottles they might of tossed out .perhaps a milk jug or pop bottle . but realistically not expecting much , think at this point its more the curiousity factor that motivates me. especially being a new dump I've never dug up yet

RCO

Reaction score
went digging this morning before it got really warm here . the dump is a bit bigger than I first realised and a couple smaller areas where it appears someone dumped things

found a lot of ketchup bottles , including an odd shaped one barely visible in pictures , many rusty oil cans , some jars and smaller bottles . found part of a broken milk jug but no names on it .

and a wide mix of broken pop bottles including , Canada dry , Stubby , coca cola , pepsi cola , crush , Kist , Browns beverages , macdonalds North Bay and a green beer bottle

20170517_094812.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
the Kist bottle seemed really promising as it has most of label remaining , until I flipped it over and saw the hole in the back

kistDR.jpgkistDR1.jpg

Last edited:

RCO

Reaction score
only real find was a bottle from North Bay Ontario , its for macdonald's beverages ltd . its called the " steinie " bottle . have a few bottles from this company but haven't found this one before . it actually has a fair bit of acl remaining although some of the blue ink is coming off , not bad for having been in a dump since the 50's or 60's
macdonalds-steinie.jpg

Last edited:

RCO

Reaction score
couple more pictures of it , since North Bay is about an hour and a half north from this dump , don't think it was sold locally and likely came from someone who had been there and traveled south . the dump is very close to highway 11 , the main route north .

the back says " made with pure cane sugar and northern Ontario's finest carbonated water " contents 11 fl oz

macdonalds-steinie1.jpgmacdonalds-steinie2.jpg

Last edited:

RCO

Reaction score
doing a bit of searching online on the " steinie " bottle which is mostly for beer but was used for pop too , the same bottle appears to have been used in the US too . found a picture online of a nearly identical root beer bottle from Washington DC , they even used the same design on the acl and wording on back .

it seems odd to think a small bottler in north bay Ontario might of got there bottles from a maker in the US ? but seem too identical to not be from same maker / designer

rootrock.jpg

Last edited:

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Your pictures don't seem to be working, I'm curious to see the North Bay bottle.

RCO

Reaction score
Your pictures don't seem to be working, I'm curious to see the North Bay bottle.

that's weird cause they were working yesterday , but reposted them and seem to be there now , the north bay bottle is neat and really only worth while item I found yesterday , might go back next week after rush of long weekend has past and see if anything else there

CanadianBottles

Reaction score

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18