Crystal Canning or Milk Jar

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

russ

Reaction score
Am finding very little info on the net regarding this jar I dug and would consider selling. Have found only one article suggesting it could have been either a milk or canning jar. It is whittled a bit,aqua,marked "Crystal" only on the front. The bottom has 2 different patent dates. Nov 26-67. And Feb 4 - 73. Any info or where to find more would be appreciated.

Attachments

• crystal1.jpg
    crystal1.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 190
  • crystal2.jpg
    crystal2.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 240

Dumpdiver

Reaction score
Hey Russ, Nice find and Welcome to the site. The jar you found was a food jar made before the crystal jar for milk that was made around 1880. Here's a bit of history on your find https://sha.org/bottle/pdffiles/CrystalGlassCo.pdf Looks like you found a nice spot to dig so get back out there and show us some more. Thanks and Happy Digs, DD

russ

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. No further Crystals dug since then but the dump site has been yielding a gem or two almost every time. Great web site here as well.and very glad I found it.

Last edited:

klaatu

Reaction score
Russ,
Your jar is # 705 in The Red Book. The correct closure for this jar is not the normal zinc lid, but instead takes a glass lid with a February 4, 1873 patent date. Current Red Book value is $100-150 for a quart and $125-175 for a 1/2 gallon. (With the correct glass lid). The jar was probably produced by the Hero Glass Works in Philadelphia, Pa. sometime between 1873-1880. A very nice find. Hopefully you will dig the glass lid next.

russ

Reaction score
Thanks for the additional info. Will take off the surprisingly good shape zinc lid I put on it which was dug close by the jar. Any info where I can obtain this "Red Book"? The dump has been yielding a bunch of canning jars lately.

klaatu

Reaction score
For info about "Red Book" The Collector's Guide to Old Fruit Jars, go to REDBOOKJARS.COM
Bill.

Ken_Riser

Reaction score
Looks picklish I'd say but not sure never seen one. Of those or the name in Ohio or Okla

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

Ken_Riser

Reaction score
Hey I thought I had every madon jar made lol wrong lamb Mason heard that was Mason's old partner who bought him out baby food god prob found a gold mine of every babfood jars made I don't keep them one has lid says new screw top lid any trades buyers I got way to many but what's funny never was a heinze factory groveport Ohio alot bud bottles I don't collect them either but I've got 2 in 8 inch 12 in so many Kool ketchup bottles never ever found a ,2 inch ketchup bottle anywhere and Oklahoma was full of ketchups lolcorks to but these not corks

Ken_Riser

Reaction score
Mason loool lamb Mason jar only one nice

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member