Texas Digging

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

nhpharm

Reaction score
It's getting real hot here in Texas, but I only make it out once every two weeks so I try my best to keep digging through the summer. Sunday I made it out bright an early and probed a privy right off that sounded great. Sadly, though it was loaded with bottles, they were all junk...slick whiskey flasks and ketchup bottles...privy was just barely pre-prohibition. Filled that one in and found a second privy about 3' away (but across the lot line). This one was a bit of a different story...a late 1860's and early 1870's privy with at least 10 broken cathedral pickle bottles in it. Not much intact but I did find 2 umbrella inks, a fancy little cologne bottle, and a strange bottle that is identical to the C. Lediard 6-sided bottles that surface from time to time but completely slick. Really a pretty bottle and just nestled in the very bottom of the center of the privy. Filled in the second privy and moved on to a deep trash pit about 5' away. The top of the trash pit was loaded with 1910's stuff and there I found my first intact straight-sided Galveston, Texas straight sided Coca-Cola bottle. I've dug these from Houston and San Antonio before but never intact from Galveston...they seem to be quite scarce and I was very happy to find this addition to my Galveston collection. Deeper in the trash pit things transformed to 1860's trash and I found a Leudemann barrel mustard, a pontiled multi-sided bottle, a small Wright cologne bottle, some jaw bones (maybe a dog?), and a few other odds and ends. Overall a fun (but hot) day!

Attachments

• IMG_1353.jpg
    IMG_1353.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_1356.jpg
    IMG_1356.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_1355.jpg
    IMG_1355.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 231

hemihampton

Reaction score
Those Inks are cool. I rarely find that style or type of Ink Bottle. LEON.

nhpharm

Reaction score
I dig a lot of them...apparently a lot of literate people where I am digging! Two of these have inward rolled lips and one has a ground lip which I hadn't seen on an umbrella before. Nonetheless, I find most of mine in 1850's-1870's privies and pits. In the 1880's privies and pits I find mostly the J&IEM turtles and in the 1890's-1910's privies and pits mostly the Carter's style cone inks.

sandchip

Reaction score
Good going! Is the Lediard's slick amber or puce?

nhpharm

Reaction score
It's amber...quite dark amber.

nhpharm

Reaction score
Made it out again Sunday to the same lot. First hole was a small barrel privy that had a few broken bottles and a nice yellow amber bubbly Patent whiskey bottle (McCully base embossing). Second hole was a very early square privy with just one bottle in the whole thing...a dip molded pontiled slick. In the middle of the square privy a small barrel privy had been sunk and in it I found an early local pharmacy (fairly common but a size I did not have), a neat flask with a ring neck (I've been told these are Lyndeborough), and a few other broken bottles. Filling in the hole, I found another pontiled puff and a early applied lip Hamlin's Wizard Oil. Nothing earth shattering but real early stuff for Texas!

Attachments

• IMG_1412.jpg
    IMG_1412.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 181

hemihampton

Reaction score
Nice, I only dug one Privy old enough for Pontiled puffs & had a few in there (mostly slicks though). The stuff was from around 1860's. Very hard to find 1860's or older in Michigan. Even 1870's stuff pretty tough to dig. Congrats. LEON.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora