New and Intrigued :-)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Alan

Reaction score
I really think some if my bottles are pre 1900!? I will let you all know on Monday evening with good descriptions and any embossing or molding, also does numbers and letters on the base/bottom of bottles help identify them as some do have numbers and stuff, thank you

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Nice bottles! I'm very curious about those ones with two and three mouths, I've never seen anything like that before. Do you think they're laboratory equipment maybe?
I expect they actually are all post-1900, because in Europe they continued using older bottle-making methods much later than here across the pond. They were still making bottles by hand at least well into the 1930's.
Numbers and letters on the bottom help identify Canadian and American bottles but since this is primarily an American site I don't think any of us know much about date codes used in the British Isles, if they were ever used at all. Generally on medicine bottles like yours mostly are the numbers on the bottom don't have any meaning, they're just mold numbers.

whittled

Reaction score
There is a name for those those 2 and 3 opening bottles but I'll be damned if I can remember it now. I think they were industrial for separating vapor and water or something. Like a still thing or the separators used in modern air compressors. I'm not sure.

Alan

Reaction score
Hi, so how would I recognise a pre 1900 bottle, I suspect I have some among my collection and most probably imports!?.. Also I did some searching online about those double/treble spout bottles and I haven't come up with anything, I'll delve deeper really getting into it at the moment gonna order a VINTAGE BOTTLE' paper back on ebay, supposedly gives year and value of loads of bottles, who knows I might have a €20 bottle anyway gonna post more pics tomorrow as I'm now finished work for the weekend. Thanks lads for all the info

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I would not recommend buying that book unfortunately, those bottle books usually have limited useful information and often outright false information unless it's super specialized. Bottles are just too wishy-washy to every give definitive information about them in a book like that.
As for how you can tell if a bottle is from before 1900, well you can't unless you can verify that a company went out of business before 1900. In the US, 1910 is roughly around when they switched from making bottles by hand to using an automatic machine, and you can tell it's machine-made by whether or not the seam goes over the lip (with a few exceptions). But in other areas they switched over to automatic machines at later dates. In Canada they switched over in the 1920's, while in Europe athey continued up until the 1930's or even later.
I'm pretty sure that nothing there is worth 20 Euros, other than maybe that nice big teal poison bottle. But it's not hard to find bottles worth that much, they're certainly out there in reasonable enough numbers. And I'd imagine Ireland has massive numbers of digging opportunities, though I'm not sure about the laws over there, I think they may be fairly restrictive.

Alan

Reaction score
Great info thanks, so people actually go digging for bottles that's brilliant, my bottles are just ones picked up here and there with my uncle. Any suggestions about going digging, like were would I start!? Love al that outdoor stuff, I go fishing and have a metal detector etc etc also I go hill walking near old famine time villages.

Ken_Riser

Reaction score
Usually poisions have safety for the blind not to drink ridges knobs something on outer bottle to warn them by feeling outer bottle can't see pics very well love that brown bottle any idea what it is nice bots oil sells hi any petroleum I have a good buyer Iowa oil a gas museum schould pop up gas pumps oil or petroleum he pays well 2 nd choice Rick trotnic Salina Kansas he's kind of an ass tho put him into his place tho he thinks he can buy anything bigheaded ass tho pass first to third offers he will come back our secret lol k he's got money tho trotnics recycling and demo company Salina Kansas Iowa mobil gas museum he's a true collector pretty nice guy tell him Ken riser sent you he wanted a Cushman husky engine I had real bad one time he lost tho many people flew to where I was yea a 12 hp Cushman husky barn portable firetruck slod 20 thou

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

Ken_Riser

Reaction score
Love that blue bottle what kind of bottle love the blues Phillips cough syrups I make lights out of them dif color of blue tho nice long neck love it dif indeed I've seen alot bottles Oklahoma Ohio never one like that special nice

Ken_Riser

Reaction score
Lab bottle some kin nod?

Alan

Reaction score
Hi guys am back sorry I haven't been on for a while but having car trouble hmmmm anyway loving the positivity posts, keeps me buzzin about old bottles I haven't picked up any more bottles as off today but I hope to start again soon, I was hoping for some tips on where I should maybe start digging for bottles rather than just coming across one here and there!? So that would be great if anyone could advise me, I know I live in Ireland but shir they probably 'dumped' bottles in the same places as use GUYS So anyway chat soon ok cool

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi